Motivation is a Myth: Unraveling the Real Driver of Action and Life-Long Productivity | Teen Ink

Motivation is a Myth: Unraveling the Real Driver of Action and Life-Long Productivity

By suhaneesoni BRONZE, Mumbai, Other
suhaneesoni BRONZE, Mumbai, Other

Let’s play a game of true or false. True or false? Each and every one of us are procrastinating on one or the other task right now. True. True or false? Too often do we feel unmotivated to finish or even start a task. We’re IB students, of course it's true. True or false? You need motivation to start anything in order to finish it. False – now that one must have come as quite a surprise. 

This might leave you asking yourself: why? Well, the answer lies in the debunking of the myth—motivation. To many, this would like a sceptical perspective of a 14-year-old. But in reality, motivation does indeed fail to withstand the innate tendencies of human behaviour and mind. 

Before drawing any conclusions, let’s unravel motivation to its core. So, what exactly is motivation? Motivation is the act of stimulating one’s desire to achieve a goal — to summon up this mystical energy that would propel an individual to “spontaneously start being productive”. 

In an ideal world, this may sound like the ultimate key to unlocking productivity. But here lies the trap. The motivation trap – a trap too unwittingly common for many of us. Dr. Russ Harris, an American psychotherapist, explained it most effectively when he said, “we wait to feel motivated before we take any action”. Now, what’s the problem with that? Well, if you only act when you feel “motivated” enough to do so, you will find yourself waiting indefinitely for the opportune moment to strike. But, the real deal is that it most likely will never arrive.  

Many people fall victim to the motivation trap, perpetually seeking external inspiration to drive their actions. However, relying solely on motivation can result in inconsistent behaviour and procrastination. Being a transient emotion, it often fails to provide sustained momentum. Which is why, the frequent instances wherein an individual lacks “motivation” can be nothing short of a bane. 

Consider this scenario: have you ever felt too lazy to work on a project due the next day? A situation like this is all too familiar for a procrastinator like me. But, have you noticed that once you start studying, your focus gradually increases and you become more determined to finish the task at hand. This explains the underlying truth behind productivity: motivation doesn’t precede action, and instead, is an outcome of it. That sense of determination and accomplishment derived after or during a task is motivation. So ask yourself: how many times have you been challenged with a seemingly ‘impossible’ task, only to discover that taking a few steps towards it makes you more motivated to complete it?

But if motivation is a myth, then the question still lies: what truly facilitates success and productivity? The answer lies in a shift of mindset from motivation to discipline. Discipline, unlike motivation, isn’t reliant on a fleeting urge to initiate work. It's a routine developed with dedication and persistent work. It entails establishing precise objectives, putting together a meticulous schedule, and adhering to it despite how “motivated” you are. Admittedly, it is arduous in nature, but trust me on this one, it produces results like motivation never could. For someone who prioritises outcomes, discipline becomes indispensable. 

Discipline is also the backbone of achievement. Its objective is to cut the link between two mutually exclusive concepts: feelings and action. The first step to fostering life-long productivity is to register that your feelings should be inconsequential to the tasks that you want to do. Don’t feel like doing it? Do it anyway. This way, the habit of actively taking action and prioritising goals is slowly cultivated. And so, while motivation may provide a temporary spark, it's discipline that fuels long-term achievement, success and productivity. 

Now, about that one seemingly Herculean and ‘impossible’ task you are yet to finish. Embrace its challenge, take the first step and let discipline do its magic. What are you waiting for?

Hi! I'm Suhanee Soni, a student currently studying at Oberoi International School, Mumbai. This article encapsulates my understanding of human behavioural at the intersection of psychology and productivity. I hope you enjoy!