Misconceptions About Girls | Teen Ink

Misconceptions About Girls

July 23, 2009
By vivian78 GOLD, San Jose, California
vivian78 GOLD, San Jose, California
10 articles 0 photos 12 comments

A NOTE TO GUYS

DISCLAIMER: I DO NOT WANT TO OFFEND ANYONE. IF I DO, I APOLOGIZE AHEAD OF TIME. I HAVE FULL RESPECT FOR BOTH GENDERS AND SIMPLY WANT TO CLEAR UP SOME STEREOTYPES ABOUT GIRLS.

A couple days ago, one of my friends posted on Facebook this status: "Darn this world of shallow guys and pheno-typical girls." He then ranted about how girls wear makeup to look pretty for guys, dress in short shorts to have sex appeal, etc. Although he is an awesome person and an equally awesome friend, we have got some major misconceptions to clear up.

Us girls don't necessarily wear short shorts for guys. A few of us do it for the sex appeal (like the girls who wear mini skirts during the winter), but the vast majority of us do it for several other reasons.

1. Short shorts are more comfortable - who likes to jump and run and dance in jeans?
2. When it's summer, it's hot outside, gosh darn it!
3. We can wear short shorts and look awesome, and guys can't do it without looking really wack.

About the trying to look pretty thing. We try to be pretty mostly for our own sakes, because when we feel pretty, we feel like we can conquer the world. In other words, feeling pretty inspires confidence. More likely than not, when we look good, we feel good.

Guys, as important as you wonderful people are to us girls, you're not the center of our universe - we are. So sorry to burst your bubble, but it's about time you guys realize that girls do not spend all their time looking good for guys. It must be a pleasant delusion, thinking that we do everything for you, but let's face reality - us girls do most of our "girly" girl things (shopping, makeup, etc) for ourselves and confidence and the funness of feeling pretty.

And just so you know, a lot of girls (as well as myself) only wear short shorts at home, which is the last place we worry about sex appeal. And don't tell me that "all girls are wearing short shorts" - it's just that you're paying more attention to the girls with short shorts. Take a good look at all the girls who aren't. I'm not saying that short shorts are bad, obviously, I'm just saying that not all girls wear short shorts. And most of the girls who do wear short shorts do it because short shorts are comfortable, not because we want to "look sexy."
\