Black Friday | Teen Ink

Black Friday

January 11, 2010
By Lauren Messenger PLATINUM, Nashotah, Wisconsin
Lauren Messenger PLATINUM, Nashotah, Wisconsin
26 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Thursday, November 26, 2009 is day made for love and appreciation: Thanksgiving. Families will sit around the table eating massive amounts of turkey and stuffing while giving thanks for the things they are greatful for. This is a peaceful day and a day to spend surrounded by loved ones. But the day after, Friday, November 27, 2009 is a day of pure madness: Black Friday.

Black Friday is the largest shopping day of the year. The Christmas sales begin, along with the mass hysteria of customers fighting for hot sale items.

Dating back to 1966, the tradition continues annually as shoppers line up outside stores as early as 3:00 a.m. to be the first to grab the sales.

“I’m getting up bright and early,” says senior Brittany S. “There’s no way I’m missing out on a perfect excuse for a shopping day!”

Mass media and website creators have taken this day to interest reporting news stories across the globe on sales and shopping plans of citizens.

Official websites have been created to name stores and sales going on within the stores for web surfers to get the heads up on where to shop. A few official websites listing stores are http://www.blackfriday.info/ and http://bfads.net/.

Examples of stores with jaw dropping deals in the area are Kohl’s, Sports Authority, and Old Navy.

Kohl’s is opening at 4:00 a.m. and featuring 50% off of sportswear/athletic apparel, women’s perfume, dress wear, and more.

Sports Authority is also doing half price deals on Adidas sports bags, skateboards, and baseball training equipment.

Old Navy is featuring sales with 50% off all outerwear and presenting a deal for $10.00 off any $50.00 purchase. Old Navy opens at 3:00 a.m.

With multiple stores opening as early as 3:00 a.m., it is suggested to arrive earlier than the set time to be the first to grab the deals. After all, the early bird catches the worm!