Why the Free Bird Doesn't | Teen Ink

Why the Free Bird Doesn't

By Toe_The_Line SILVER, Muscoda, Wisconsin
Toe_The_Line SILVER, Muscoda, Wisconsin

"In a field, I am the abscence of field. It's always been like that. Wherever I am, I am what is missing." - Mark Strand
"We are reading the story of our lives... we keep turning the pages, hoping for something." - Mark Strand

We are often asked why the caged bird sings, but a more important question is ignored. Why might a free bird remain silent? Consider for a moment the bird that flies, that comes and goes... but has no melody to share, no sweet soprano to spit to the sky. Logically, when given choice, one would rather never do but assume that one COULD. Never learning differently should be considered a blessing. A bird restrained would surely argue differently, but a step back to look, to think, reveals that the bird kept in isolation is never able to miss what it does not know. It cannot feel the pain of loss, the sting of goals not accomplished. When out in the world, there is no one to blame for our mistakes, our shortcomings. We're left feeling inadequate, and inferior. The bird kept still should enjoy the innocence of a mind untainted. Kept under lock and key, it is able to dream and aspire, naively believing that the things it cannot do are simply because it is never given chance. Never knowing risk, danger. No realization that one wrong landing at the feet of a feline could leave everything in bloody ruins. Never cursed with the knowledge that its efforts are simply not good enough, thinking all that is wrong COULD be fixed, survival alone could occur if only... if only... freedom. Freedom traps us in the wrongs we cannot right. With the world at our wings, the will, the ways... but plans we are unable to bring to reality.

.xCutMyLifeIntoPiecesx. PLATINUM, Longmont, Colorado
This is very good! I had to read it a few times over because it's really deep and hard to grasp exactly what you are trying to say only by reading once. I think the full impact of this piece is something to be enjoyed multiple times and at leisure, taking in all there is to take in. I especially love the line "Freedom traps us in the wrongs we cannot right." This is quite an amazing work, I really love it!