Faulty Brakes Spark Contreversy | Teen Ink

Faulty Brakes Spark Contreversy

By Le Bron SILVER, Roslyn, New York
Le Bron SILVER, Roslyn, New York

NAGOYA, Japan- The president of Toyota, Akio Toyoda, held a press conference on January 5, 2010 explaining and apologizing over malfunctioning vehicles made by the Toyota Company.
There have been three types of malfunctions happening to the vehicles: sticking accelerator pedals, malfunctioning braking systems and floor mats becoming entangled in the pedals. These problems have occurred with numerous Toyota models, such as the RAV4 crossover, the Corolla, the Matrix hatchback, the Avalon, the Camry, the Highlander crossover, the Tundra pickup, the 2008-10 Sequoia SUV, but none more than the highly prized Toyota Prius. The Prius is a hybrid car that acquires most of its energy when the brake system is used. This malfunction in the braking system of the Prius not only has negatively affected the safety of the vehicle, but the reliability is in jeopardy as well because a drive could unknowingly run out of fuel at any moment. 270,000 Priuses have had the brake problems in the US and in Japan starting last May.
There have also been numerous accidents and injuries caused by these malfunctions. At least 100 drivers of the Prius car model, who have complained to the US government over their brakes momentarily failing, while on bumpy roads, according to the Los Angeles Times. The US government also says that the malfunctioning of the brake system is suspected to be the cause of at least four crashes, if not more, and two minor injuries. Chairman Edolphus Towns (D-NY) said, “There appears to be growing public concern regarding which Toyota vehicles may be problematic and how people should respond. Consumers want to know whether their cars are safe to drive, and if not, they need to know what to do about it.”
This situation is taking a very negative toll on the Toyota Company based in Japan. They have built their reputation on building reliable cars for a low price that can last years at a time; however, these new malfunctions have caused embarrassment for the company that people used to think had the best cars on the market. “I believe what is happening right now is a very big problem,” Toyoda said, “We are in a crisis.” Additionally, Mr. Toyoda stated that there would be a special committee within the Toyota Company, headed by Mr. Toyoda himself that would be responsible for finding a solution to this series of problems.
Toyota is making progress, however, because they are scheduled to continue production of some of the models affected by the malfunctions. “Toyota plans to resume production Monday at US factories that make the eight models recalled for sticky gas pedal systems,” said spokesperson Brian Lyons in an e-mail on Sunday.
However, some say that the negative PR has already taken a permanent toll on the company. Toyota failed to have a single commercial air during the Superbowl, which beat out M*A*S*H for the largest ratings and viewer population of television history.
Therefore, while Toyota is trying to solve the problems with the malfunctioning cars, the negative PR from this situation will take a negative toll on the company for many years to come unless they solve the problems extremely rapidly.

Le Bron SILVER said...
Le Bron SILVER, Roslyn, New York
Uh. acutally Dispatch is the best band ever

Super man SILVER, Noodle, Wisconsin
lady smith black mambazo is the greatest band ever

Super man SILVER, Noodle, Wisconsin
wowowowow this is a fail of an article

Le Bron SILVER said...
Le Bron SILVER, Roslyn, New York
why dont you all just take a chill pill its my first article ever so relax and give me a chance to get better.

JoshT2010 said...
Umm, excuse me, but have you looked up the spelling of controversy recently? I don't mean to be disrespectful if you're a 6th grader or something, but you need to pay attention to things like that if you want to write.

Le Bron SILVER said...
Le Bron SILVER, Roslyn, New York
I don't care what you say. I didnt spell anything wrong

JoshT2010 said...
If you're going to write for a magazine, you need to make sure you know how to spell.