Little Piece of Freedom | Teen Ink

Little Piece of Freedom MAG

By Anonymous

   I remember the first time I saw it on the lot. Itwas one of those visions where the light shines down and the music plays in thebackground. It was going to be my new car, but that wasn't all. It was my newlittle piece of freedom.

I didn't care if I ended up with the ugliest onethere, I had been hoping to get a car for as long as I had my learner's permit. Ifelt like I was the only one without some mode of transportation of my own andhad been bumming rides to and from school from friends for months. I practicallyprayed every night to wake up the next morning and see a brand new Mustang in thedriveway with a big red bow on it.

So, when my dad and I went to the usedcar lot, I was ecstatic. After two or three visits, my dad told me he thought hehad found a car that was within our financial means and would be"reliable."

As I drove it home for the first time with thecardboard temporary tags on the back, I turned on the radio. "Like aBird" was the first song I heard, and it was perfect. I was sohappy.

This car is more to me than transportation. It is a way to beindependent, to take myself where I want to go - all alone. It is a way to getaway when I need a few minutes. It is something I can identify as mine. It is agreat feeling. My little piece of freedom has made me very happy.