Our Goals | Teen Ink

Our Goals

By 4everyoung15 BRONZE, Moreno Valley, California
4everyoung15 BRONZE, Moreno Valley, California

"When life knocks you down on your knees, just remember you are in the perfect position for praying"- Unknown

The race began, and everyone had their eyes on him. He started good, years of training were paying off and he knew it. Breaking the British Record for the 400 meter dash was his dream, but one little thing happened an invisible hole that he didn’t see coming. There was a sudden pop that he suddenly heard, and he fell. His pain must have been unimaginable, not the pain radiated from his leg, but the pain of watching all those years of training and hard work slip away from his hands. He knew he had failed. The stretchers came in, but in a split second he went back up and did what he could to finish this race. He didn’t get up alone, his father helped him get up and go finish the dream he worked so hard for. Unfortunately, this story has no happy ending, the racer ended up last, but it was great because he finished. Unlike Derek Redmond, some people just don’t seem ready to fail. This leads into such hopeless actions, such as depression and to some cases suicide. As humans, we have to get right back up after we fall. The whole Redmond fell in was a deep one, but he managed through it with help. We all need help regardless of age, gender, race, or social ranking. Redmond could have just gone onto the stretcher like the medical assisters told him to, but he didn’t. His father could have forced his son out of the race the moment he went down, but he didn’t. Why? His father knew at that moment surely that there had to be someone to help the boy who had fallen in this intangible hole and sinking in his own work. It’s an interesting thing us humans do. We hear someone tell us what to do and how, but we refuse despite the obstacles that are apparently holding us down. Somehow we are more attracted to our goal, and deep inside of ourselves we know that if we don’t at least finish we would regret it forever. We would feel empty and worthless if we lose the one thing that truly belongs to us: our goals. Nothing is ours, not our cars, not our families, not even our own lives, but in the end what will matter if you die is our goals. So finish one and come out successful like Derek Redmond did.

I was sitting in my Guidance class and my professor showed us a video telling us to write a reflection of it. The article is basically what I wrote.