Bullying | Teen Ink

Bullying

March 9, 2012
By Tabithap SILVER, New Orleans, Louisiana
Tabithap SILVER, New Orleans, Louisiana
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Suicide is the third leading cause of death among young people, resulting in about 4,400 deaths per year, according to the CDC. For every suicide among young people, there are at least 100 suicide attempts. Over 14 percent of high school students have considered suicide, and almost 7 percent have attempted it. Bullying victims are between 2 to 9 times more likely to consider suicide than non-victims, according to studies by Yale University A study in Britain found that at least half of suicides among young people are related to bullying, and 10 to 14 year old girls may be at even higher risk for suicide. According to statistics reported by ABC News, nearly 30 percent of students are either bullies or victims of bullying, and 160,000 kids stay home from school every day because of fear of bullying

These are different types of bullying: Verbal bullying including derogatory comments and bad names, bullying through social exclusion or isolation, physical bullying such as hitting, kicking, shoving, and spitting, bullying through lies and false rumors, having money or other things taken or damaged by students who bully, being threatened or being forced to do things by students who bull, racial bullying, sexual bullying, and cyber bullying (through cell phone or the Internet). These types of bullying events happen everyday all over the world. They affect people in many different ways.

These are some reasons behind why people bully. Students who bully have strong needs for power and dominance. They find satisfaction in causing injury and suffering to other students. Students who bully are often rewarded in some way for their behavior with material or psychological rewards.

The impacts of bullying include, depression, low self-esteem, health problems, poor grades, and suicidal thoughts. All of these are signs of bullying. Watch out for people that have these side affects. People who bully other people do these types of things, get into frequent fights, steal and vandalize property, drink alcohol and smoke, report poor grades, perceive a negative climate at school, and Carry a weapon.

Schools with bullying problems have these problems. The school develops an environment of fear and disrespect, students have difficulty learning, students feel insecure,students dislike school, and students think that teachers and staff have little control and don't care about them. People are afraid to even show up for school because of bullying.

Bullying happens in all grades. Statistics show that 23 percent of students in grades 4-6 had been bullied "several times" or more; 20 percent had bullied others (1998 study of 6,500 students in rural South Carolina). Statistics show that 17 percent of students in grades 6-10 reported having been bullied "sometimes" or more, with 8 percent being bullied once a week. 19 percent said they had been a bully to others "sometimes" or more. (2001 study of 15,000 U.S. students). Bullying needs to come to an end. People get bullied all the time from the smallest ages to the biggest ages.

Bullying can cause man deaths or injuries to many of people. if your not careful you could cause a dominoes of deaths. Bullying is not something to play with. it is not funny either. people only bully to make themselves happier. it makes them feel better about themselves. DO NOT BULLY!