Calm. | Teen Ink

Calm.

By astrostar2 DIAMOND, Congers, New York
astrostar2 DIAMOND, Congers, New York

Nothing is impossible, it is either probable or improbable.

Calm is the sense of tranquility that evades you daily. The freedom to allow your overloaded mind to wander into nothingness, to let your thoughts dissolve into a fine mist. The luxury to close your eyes and let your fatigued body enter the mezzanine between life and dream. Your desperate thirst for calm pushes you on that cloudy evening, shoes slapping the pavement in an urgent rhythm, pounding out your escape from the chattering whirlwind of life. Calm begins at the juncture of paved road and grassy trail. It is the grave solitude that surrounds you, intensifying as you defy the decree NO TRESPASSING and continue forth, deeper into the secluded grove of apple trees. Calm reaches out, whispering of the impending rain, cool fingers gently tousling your hair. Calm permeates your mind, reduces the buzzing, convoluted thoughts to emptiness, bids you absorb. The temptation of Eden’s rouged globes, swinging slightly in the breeze. The silence peppered by a lone cricket’s quavering chirp. The scent of life—of brown, green and red. Calm spontaneously nudges you to lie down in the open, close your eyes. Ease into infinity, into confluence with the endlessness of the trees and overcast sky. You exhale gently in reverence of the sacred hush, your breath conflating with the ambrosial air. Reflected in the subtle hue of grey overhead, the cloud of calm envelopes you. It makes you whole.