Should Hunting Be Banned | Teen Ink

Should Hunting Be Banned

December 17, 2012
By ShelbyCarlson SILVER, West Melbourne, Florida
ShelbyCarlson SILVER, West Melbourne, Florida
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Hunting should be banned because killing innocent animals isn’t a sport, it’s a sick hobby. Far too many people are either injured or killed every year participating in this “sport.” According to the International Hunter Education Association, approximately 1,000 people in the US and Canada are accidentally shot by hunters every year, and just under a hundred of those accidents are fatalities. Most victims are hunters, but non-hunters are also sometimes killed or injured. Although some other forms of recreation cause more fatalities, hunting is one of the few activities that endangers the entire community, and not just the willing participants. Killing animals in this time period is unnecessary because there are those things called supermarkets which provide you with the food you need to survive.


If there are ways to prevent animals from getting killed, don’t you think we should learn them? Hunters have hunted animals for so long that pretty soon, they’re all going to become endangered or extinct. What happened to the dodo bird? Hunters made it become extinct. Sure there are regulations hunters are supposed to follow but who says every hunter does? Too many hunters have abused their privileges.

I have even heard that sometimes when kids are brought up by hunting, they start to eventually get bored with just hunting animals so they go for a more thrilling target, humans.
Hunting also is one of the main causes of deafness.

Hunting has taken on a new meaning through the years. Hunting used to be a means to obtain food. It was a way of life and needed for survival. Most avid hunters now days use hunting as a sport. They have the dead animals displayed on their walls. They use them as trophies, not for food. I feel hunting for sport is cruel.

Wouldn’t shooting and not killing an animal be a slow and painful death too?

In conclusion, hunting is a cruel act that is passed down from many generations. We need to act now to help preserve the innocent animals that are being affected. Thank you.