Hurricane Sandy | Teen Ink

Hurricane Sandy

February 8, 2013
By Ningqin GOLD, Atlantic Highlands, New Jersey
Ningqin GOLD, Atlantic Highlands, New Jersey
13 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
I have a few here that I like. They are not written by anyone famous. "Hurt me with the truth, don't comfort me with a lie."~Anonymous. "A friend is there and gives you a shoulder to lean on."~Lizzy Incardona.


Sandy has affected everyone along the east coast. Especially those in Port Monmouth, Sea Bright, Highlands, and others around those areas. People had been without power for weeks and evacuating certain areas became mandatory. Sandy quickly made world history. It was one of the worst hurricanes that New Jersey had seen.
All over the United States people sent out mission teams to help us. You would go down to the parts where Sandy made the most damage. Peoples homes destroyed, peoples lives were altered, and the devastation was horrible.
Friends of those who could fix their homes, started ripping down wall and throwing everything out that was touched by the bay water. All of those who could help did to the best to their ability. Henry Hudson Regional High school, in Highlands New Jersey, became a shelter for all those who got displaced. Churches made organizations like the Sandy Relief Program to help those who lost everything.
This is a story I heard it is ironic but gives you an idea of what it was like. A man was getting his mother to a safer place, he brought her to the nursing home. He went back to the house and got all her medications and her clothes or anything that was needed. After delivering that up to the nursing home he went back to get his dogs out of the house. The police men wouldn't let him in they said it was to risky to go back inside the house. He watched as a huge wave engulfed the house in water. His dogs got washed away one dog was blind and the other had no health problems. He felt hopeless, those were his trustworthy companions. A few weeks after he was walking through the woods and he saw a dog sitting on a sofa. He examined it closely and realized that it was his dog! Rejoiced to have found his life long friend he looked even closer. It was the blind dog that had made it through the storm. The healthy dog whisked away to sea.
Don't loose hope, stay strong, give to those who need more than you do, and most importantly believe.


The author's comments:
I wrote this article because I was one affected by the after math of Hurricane Sandy. My friends and their families lost almost everything to Sandy. It was unbearable to see the devastation in our town.