Why I believe in cats, Once-lers and elephants | Teen Ink

Why I believe in cats, Once-lers and elephants

By KPetty13 BRONZE, Saint Cloud, Florida
KPetty13 BRONZE, Saint Cloud, Florida

"If you're lucky enought to be different, never change." ~ Taylor Swift

I believe in that big, silly cat with the big striped hat--the one who barged into Nick and Sally’s house on a cold, rainy day. While he may have been unwelcomed, and a troublemaker nonetheless, that cat had some wisdom hidden underneath his ridiculously tall hat. Unlike many others, the cat knew how to look on the bright side. His mood wasn’t hindered by the darkness of the clouds outside, and his thoughts didn’t linger on the dreariness of the day. “I know it is wet. And the sun is not sunny,” Cat said, “But we can have lots of good fun that is funny.”

And you know that mysterious Once-ler who isolates himself at the top of a tree? The creature that tells the story of the poor, little Lorax that was pushed out of his homeland? Well I believe in his story, and I believe in him too, because that Once-ler recognized what it takes to make a change in this world. “UNLESS someone like you
cares a whole awful lot,” Once-ler warned, “nothing is going to get better. It's not.”

There’s a giant elephant living in the Jungle of Nool who ruthlessly protected a microscopic community of Whos. His neighbors discouraged his generous behavior and tried to convince him the tiny people he spoke to weren’t real. After weeks of being ridiculed, the elephant was able to convince his peers that the Whos really existed. But I never doubted the elephant’s story, and he is yet another thing I strongly believe in. This elephant overlooked the vast differences between the Whos, and himself and was willing to help the miniature people at any cost. “A person's a person,” the elephant preached, “no matter how small.”

But out of all the things I believe in, there is one man who I believe in most. His name is Dr. Suess and he crafted quirky poems about Once-lers, and elephants, and even a cat in a hat. In a book titled “I Can Read With My Eyes Shut!” Suess tells his audience that, “The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.” I know this statement is true I learned a lot about life from reading Suess’ books. And I’m hoping that the truths Suess’ books taught me will take me to great places in this world.