The Pressure of Writing | Teen Ink

The Pressure of Writing

August 12, 2013
By Truth_and_Love SILVER, Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Truth_and_Love SILVER, Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
5 articles 0 photos 10 comments

We all love to write, but hate to see our pieces poorly received. We try many things to make our art better. I've read countless books to try and inspire me and read many works by my friends in hopes to learn things from them. Sometimes I get that spark and I am creative and create a pretty great piece, but there is no consistency. There seems to be no system one can use to get the creativity out. Which is odd, because for some arts there are. Take acting for example. There are many systems out there you can use to help inspire you, but the same can not be said for writing. That being said, I think I have found a way to enjoy writing; to enjoy the process and the product and not to worry about the feedback. See, when it is real art, it comes from inside you. It has great meaning. It's not something you are spewing out and trying to make your own that you found in a book you read. You don't need books to inspire you. You have life. You have your friends, family, and the world around you. Going outside and walking to the edge of the driveway to get the mail is enough to inspire you. You have so much in your brain. You have the world inside your mind.When you discover all these beautiful things, you will realize just how much potential you have. You will start to realize that you love yourself, and that's okay, because there are many great things about you. This is a good thing, because since you love yourself, you will let yourself be happy via writing, or whatever form of art makes you happy. The opinion of others is irrelevant. If it comes from a true place inside, it is beautiful. Don't worry yourself with the opinions of others. No one loved Van Gogh at first. They did not get his work., but now many consider him a genius. Instead of being like Van Gogh though and being depressed because you think you are a failure, realize that you are not a failure. You have made great art and you have enjoyed the process. You had a lot of fun. What else matters? Once you speak from inside, and write about what you truly care about, whether it be about someone you love or a flower or a bridge, as long as it makes you happy, that is all that matters. When the happiness from writing becomes so strong, when you love writing so much, the negative reception won't matter. You will be confident enough in yourself to know it is real art that you can be proud of because it comes from a beautiful place, yourself.


The author's comments:
This piece tries to touch on something every artist feels at one point or another.