Putting an End to Global Warming | Teen Ink

Putting an End to Global Warming

May 31, 2014
By lovingtorun13 BRONZE, Sammamish, Washington
lovingtorun13 BRONZE, Sammamish, Washington
2 articles 3 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~Bertrand Russell


Putting an End to Global Warming

Everyone is involved with climate change: every person, every city, and every country. The effects are global, even if some countries are contributing more than others. If the world continues to warm due to the human emissions of greenhouse gases, we, as the human race, will notice. Long droughts, super typhoons, and torrential rain are some of the many negative aspects that we’d endure. Raising ocean levels would have a devastating effect on coastal real estate and businesses. Rain forest protection would decrease the dangers of global warming at incredible rates. In order to preserve Earth in its natural beauty, a new, renewable source of energy must be found and the protection of rain forests must be funded.

The facts that the world is heating up are unmistakable. According to scientist Dr. James E. Hansen, the Earth will have risen about 3 to 9 degrees Fahrenheit by 2030. Even though a few more degrees seems inconsequential, or maybe even nice, these changes will possibly cause “coastal flooding, dust bowls, sharply reduced crops and dying forests” (Shabecoff). This could mean the collapse of some major global industries, such as agriculture and lumber. Along with endangered industries, some scientists fear mass extinctions. One example would be moose of Minnesota. In 1980, four-thousand moose were counted, but after a recent count, researchers discovered a depressing 100 moose in the area (McDonald). According to wildlife biologist Seth Moore, the recent years of warmer, shorter winters have had a negative effect on the moose populations (McDonald). Along with animals and industries, countries around the world play a part in this massive catastrophe.

Even though the whole world will be affected by climate change, three particular regions have played a massive role in the environmental warming of the planet: China, Europe, and the United States. China contributes one-third of the world’s greenhouse gases. All of that pollution affects everyone, but even more specifically, Chinese residents. One study discovered that coal pollution in Northern China is shortening people’s lives by 5.5 years on average. The reason for this huge contribution of fossil fuels is because of China’s use of coal. “65% of China’s energy is from coal” (Plumer). Another player in global warming is Europe. “The European Union’s Emission Trading Scheme is the world’s first and largest multi-national cap-and-trade program for reducing heat-trapping emissions” (Union of Concerned Scientists). The EU ETS has a huge goal of reducing global emissions of carbon dioxide levels in 1990 by 2020 and having at least 20% of energy from renewable sources. The EU ETS spends $375 billion year to cut greenhouse gas emissions by at least 80% by 2050. Hopefully, if the European Union maintains its huge commitments, there will be prevention of further global warming. The United States is sometimes blamed for being one of the biggest contributors to global warming. "Analysis performed by the Union of Concerned Scientists has demonstrated that the U.S. can dramatically reduce its reliance on fossil fuels and nearly phase-out coal by 2030 while saving consumers and businesses money by investing primarily in energy efficiency and renewable energy" (Union of Concerned Scientists). These measures included promoting renewable energies and protection of forests everywhere.

In order to preserve environmental health, a new, renewable source of energy must be found and used, and there has to be an end to deforestation. The energy would need to give the same or increased level of production and save money and energy. But there are roadblocks. Research is difficult, expensive, and has no guaranteed success. That said, consequences for continuing the rise of climate change would be much worse. “Taken together, tropical deforestations and emissions from agriculture represent nearly 30 percent of the world’s heat-trapping emissions. We can fight global warming by reducing emissions from deforestation and forest degradation by making our food production practices more sustainable” (Union of Concerned Scientists). Because the lumber industry and the world’s growing population both present obstacles, food production would need to become more prolific.
The health of our planet must be well-maintained, and to achieve that goal, deforestation must come to an end and an alternate energy source needs to be researched and used. The well-being of Earth ensures clean water, fresh air, and everything else in life that one could love. If the human race does nothing to slow the wild greenhouse gas emissions, life as we know it could be in danger.


The author's comments:
The world is changing because of us. In return we must do all we can do to stop it. Everyone is involved with climate change: every person, every city, and every country.