Euphonium | Teen Ink

Euphonium MAG

By Anonymous

     Playing the euphonium is one of the greatest pleasures in my life. For those unfamiliar with the instrument, it looks like a midget tuba. When I play it, I get to control everything. It’s just my instrument and me with endless possibilities. All that matters is that I do my best and have fun.

I started playing the euphonium in fourth grade, when I was only interested in playing something bigger than everyone else. I really wanted to play the tuba, but my parents wouldn’t let me so I picked the next biggest instrument. It was hard to carry and get on and off the bus, but with my siblings’ help, I managed. The sound I produced back then can’t compare to what I can do now, but it was the beginning.

Now 17 and a senior, I have many memories that I would not have without my instrument. In eighth grade I performed in the first of many honor bands. For the last two years I’ve played in All State bands and had New York State School Music Association solos, too. One of the best things I have done is the Lyons Club All-State Youth Band. Last year kids from all over the state and I went to Rochester, New York to play for the Lyons Club Convention. The days of practicing weren’t always easy or fun, but the performance was worth every minute.

One of my roommates, Bret, played the trumpet and lived only an hour from me. My other roommate played the tuba and lived in Bermuda. We had a lot of fun together. This year the convention is in Buffalo and I am looking forward to another great experience.

I am currently a member of many of our school ensembles including band, chorale, chamber singers (an auditioned ensemble), jazz band, full orchestra, and I’m in the pit for the musical. I love everything having to do with music and want to pursue a career in music to pass on my love for it to students and, someday, my children.

I owe a lot to my music teachers. My chorale teacher introduced me to different ways of looking at music and when we have free time at school, we always play or work on new pieces. My band teacher has helped me learn to read music and blend more with the band.

Recently, I’ve begun studying with Professor Charles Guy of the SUNY Potsdam Crane School of Music. He has shown me specific things about my instrument and techniques I need to become an excellent musician. He has really inspired me to play even more. Without all these people, I would never have found my passion for music.

I love music so much because it touches so many parts of me. Some of the music reaches my heart and soul. Some pieces can make me feel excited and energetic, while others can have so much feeling and emotion that it can be one of the most beautiful things on earth. When I hear a new piece that I love, I want to learn it even more.

As a shrimp in the fourth grade with an instrument almost as big as I was, who would have thought that a euphonium would lead me to my future? I have been given endless possibilities, and a bright road ahead of me, thanks to my instrument.