Adoption | Teen Ink

Adoption

By Josie1099 SILVER, Omaha, Nebraska
Josie1099 SILVER, Omaha, Nebraska

Be careful who you trust, because the devil was once an angel

Adoption is a difficult concept to grasp. There are so many variables and different pieces that come into play. Everyone's adoption story is very different. There is no "normal" or "standard" adoption story. Some stories have happy endings, some don't. Mine, is one that has a happy ending. I have something called an open adoption. That means that I have contact with my biological family. In my case I have a good relationship with both sides of my family. My birthmother was 17 when she gave birth to me. She realized that (for her personal situation) she wasn't able to give a child (me) the life that it deserved. She then decided to give me up for adoption. Please understand, that is no easy choice for a mother to make. She selflessly gave me a chance at a better life, and gave a couple a chance to be parents. I have had a relationship with her throughout my entire life, I even walked in her wedding this last year. Adoption is a hard and complicated thing, but being hard and complicated doesn't make it bad.