The Chapmans, A Tale of Watery Death | Teen Ink

The Chapmans, A Tale of Watery Death

April 8, 2015
By NymeriaWaters PLATINUM, Holland, Michigan
NymeriaWaters PLATINUM, Holland, Michigan
20 articles 0 photos 22 comments

Favorite Quote:
"We are all Worms, but I do believe I'm a glow worm"- Winston Churchill


He was a hard working, practical man, and she was a middle class woman, in her mid twenties, and completely in love. He toiled for days, months, years, to bring the two of them happiness, and a life that they both wanted. During that time she stayed at her home, learning the ways of being a woman, and eagerly awaiting the letters he sent her. It took years. Some days John, her true love, wanted to give up, live as a farmer and a Bachelor. Some days Sarah Elizabeth, his sweetheart would briefly doubt her lover, pray that he stayed true to her, pray that she did not lose her chance to live as a married woman. Sarah Elizabeth, known to all as Lizzie was slipping out of marrying age. All of her hopes rested on her beloved John. It took years of toil, years of longing, years of agony, but finally John had done it. He had made enough money to marry his inamorato. Their wedding took place on the day after Christmas. A magical day in the year of 1911. Together they were happy, ready for a bright new world, and exciting new future. They had plans, and dreams. They dreamed of moving to Fitzburn Wisconsin, starting a family, having a life. When John told Lizzie about their honeymoon, she was overjoyed. Ever practical, John had arranged a honeymoon that would also take them to America. The Chapmans were taking their honeymoon on the maiden voyage of the R.M.S Titanic.
***
The R.M.S Titanic, a palace on the sea, a feat of steamship engineering, the creme de la creme of the entire world. It was gigantic, a sight to the eyes, the epitome of pure luxury.For months before, the media had focused on the titanic, telling the public about the turkish baths, the palace on the sea. She was almost 900 feet long, and dubbed unsinkable.  Not only was the ship large, she was also luxurious. The bathrooms had running water, the whole ship looked like a palace, filled with beauty and elegance. For the Chapmans it was perfection, the perfect way to start their new marriage.
***
And So the Honeymoon began, the ship left its dock, the passengers left Europe. Thousands of people stood by, waving at those lucky people on the finest ship in the world. They watched it shrinking into the distance, heard the horn blowing at the other ships, felt the mist on their faces. Every person on the dock was envious. All wished that they were privileged enough to be on the floating palace. It would have been the journey of a life time.
***
John and Lizzie were farmers. They had lived their whole lives slaving away at the earth, begging it to give them food to sustain their lives for one day more. The Titanic was no farm. The couple walked through the halls, completely in love. They slept wrapped in each other's arms, they ate gazing into each other’s eyes. They had never before had access to such luxury, never been privy to such beauty. They may not have been highly acclaimed like the wealthy first class, but that did not matter to them. The Titanic had better a second class then the first class of most ships. The Chapman couple were happy in these days, staring out to sea, enjoying their brief life of luxury. They knew that it could not last forever, for on Wednesday morning the Titanic would pull into the New York harbor. They went to bed on Sunday night happy, ready for their new life. They went to bed prepared.
***
The Titanic sank. That in itself is no shock to us. We all knew that it would happen at some point in the tale. The passengers did not. They did not expect a thing. The great ship hit the iceberg late at night, when most of the ship was silent and sleeping. She was deemed unsinkable, called the safest ship in the world, and yet she was decimated by an overly large block of ice. The captain raised the alarm, told the people to get to the lifeboats, but hardly anyone cared. Some got into the life boats, rowed some distance away, but still did not know that the threat was real. Not until the unsinkable Titanic sunk. Sink it did. It rose straight up into the air and plummeted down to the depths of the sea, cracking in half as it descended, leaving a thousand poor souls moaning crying, begging for someone to please save them, to take them from the icy waves. There had not been enough life boats. The captain had said that they crowded up the promenade deck. Women and children first had been the call, as the wealthiest men in the world shoved their ways into the lifeboats. Women and Children first, as Bruce Ismay demanded a private room on the carpathia that saved them. Women died. Children died. Men died. The Chapmans died. Even Lizzie, a woman. She had pushed her way from the lifeboat to be with her husband. Women and children first, unless the man was important. She had waited forever to be with John. She was not going to give him up. They were last seen holding each others hands, clutching a rail as the boat listed. Then they fell to the sea and were drowned. Their bodies were found later, John still clutching his wife's purse. They were nothing special in their deaths, just another pair of dead. History soon forgot them, left them as names on a gravestone. They were just farmers in life, and just second class Titanic victims in death. After all, who ever talks about the second class?


The author's comments:

The sinking of the R.M.S Titanic was a tragic event that many people know something about. However, not many talk about the second class. My point for writing this was to show that the second class were there too, and just like the first and the third class, they perished.