The Last Will and Testament of Saphira Brightscales | Teen Ink

The Last Will and Testament of Saphira Brightscales

By SaphiraBrightscales DIAMOND, Islamabad, Other
SaphiraBrightscales DIAMOND, Islamabad, Other

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
- Maya Angelou
When i was little/I used to point a chubby finger toward the dark sky/And ask my father/why some stars moved and others didn’t/He would laugh and explain that some were airplanes/I still wish on them today ~ Laugh-It-Out
The feathers of a crow are black/The ink of my pen is blacker/The pain of my heart is blackest~ Mckay
If love produced a blossom/I’d take it in my palm/What a blessing, the bright color!/How soothing, such a balm!/I’d keep a petal for my own/The rest, drop from my hands/For such a flower would multiply/And populate the lands~ thesilentraven
And I began to rival legends/Long entombed before my birth./But for all my much envied fame/The lust for more would not abate./The plaques and prizes with my name/Will, like all things, disintegrate. ~ TheEpic95 now known as Helena_Noel

Each day, as sleep dissolves into nothingness and we put one foot in front of the other and go about our lives, something extraordinary happens. Something miraculous. Something that goes unnoticed because none of us pause to behold it all in all its majestic beauty.

We touch; we touch as a conference of minds, as a contradiction of words, as premature ventricular contractions, as an agreement of the eyes, as a meeting of souls, we don't really touch, and yet we touch each others' lives in ways more than one. Sometimes it happens ever so subtly that we barely notice and sometimes it is like a war waged between a tornado and a volcano and you cannot escape it.

We leave scars, we leave impressions, and we leave words.
To all whose lives I have touched and who have touched mine.
I thank you, for each experience and for each memory and for each word.

I thank you for each impression to my soul, each tear to my heart, each thought on my mind.

I thank you.

As it dawns on a certain day it appears Saphira Brightscales shall cease to exist here.

Before I go I leave this to you, my friends, my critiques, my companions, my mentors and my constant reminders to the beautiful things in the world.

To Mckay, I leave my Haiku (plural) as this human thought I would be the next Basho or Buson, in the hope that I am in your thoughts as you read my words. You are the person that always made me think harder. Your poetry is forever imprinted on my mind. I also leave to you the strongest of my determination and the greatest of my hope as I remember you saying how ‘a little hope from someone else just makes us want to continue and reach that cliff, even if there are more valleys and cliffs.’

To StarlitSunrise, whose words shine so brilliantly that often your retinas shall fail to look at them too long, whose kind heart inspired me so much, and whose faith in me was extraordinary, I leave to you my chirpiness, my candor, and all the brightest parts of me. You truly are more beautiful than a Sunrise and a Starlit sky (and those are pretty darn amazing).

To EPluribusUnum, who once told me “The best part of being lost is finding something new”, always believed that I would get published even when I didn’t, and thought that even my prose was incredibly poetic. I leave to you, my hope and the light in my eyes when they glanced upon words writ by you.

To Laugh-it-Out, who I knew as Liv, conversations with whom I miss and shall miss more than anything, and who wanted to be the first to receive my Haiku collection/poem book’s signed copy whenever it came out, and who never held back on words, I leave to you my ruminations endless though they may be. I also leave to you our shared love for the winter. And keep rockin, you!

To TheEpic95, who was my constant source of stark honest criticism, my friend and helped me grow into who I am today, my dearest I leave to you my best memories, my favorite quotes and my frailest of thoughts in the hope that they are a constant reminder of me.

To AugustSummerFling, who was my friend and helped when I decided to write a book, who was kind and who was generous. To you I leave the Haiku “Bravery”, for you figured out exactly what the inspiration was in the hopes that my words inspire some of yours. And my promise to always be there.

To TheSkyOwesMeRain, whose username I shall love for all eternity, who admired mystery, didn’t mind cheesy love poems, filled me with joy and made my day quite a lot. To you I leave my words on rain (duh) and my love for petrichor, and my joy.

To ansem_unlimited aka Justin, whose “I see what you did there”s always managed to fill me with delight, I leave to you my dreams and the art of using less words but saying more in the hope that ‘tis found to be useful in your endeavors.

To KarmaBites, who was 411Ellie first and who I knew as Lexy, who was just-so-adorable-that-it-made-my-day, who I just loved talking to, I leave to you my eyes to see through and my favorite words.

To nelehjr, who truly admired the 575 meter and considered it the Japanese’ best invention (better than even anime), I leave to you some pixie dust and some magic because that’s how I always thought of you, with some great resemblance to Tinker Bell.

To thesilentraven, who helped me grow into free verse with the greatest of encouragement, whose words were a source of endless fascination to my soul, I leave to you my first free verse poem and my promise to keep writing.

And to all of you and more and everyone that I have in my utter inadequacy left out,

I leave my love and my gratitude.

The rest is silence.

I bid you all a very fond farewell!

Ray--yo PLATINUM, Kathmandu, Other

God Makes No Mistakes. (Gaga?)
"I have hated the words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right." -Liesel Meminger via Markus Zusac, "The Book Thief"

PS The first few paragraphs are some of the most beautiful I've read on TI. Also, I've been reading works of many of the users you mention, and this is almost like knowing all of your favorite characters from all of your favourite books are friends. Thank you for this, again. :)

Ray--yo PLATINUM, Kathmandu, Other

God Makes No Mistakes. (Gaga?)

This is absolutely beautiful. Seriously. And though you and I may have had little communication, your comments on my articles still bring a smile to my face every time I read them. Thank you very, very much, Sapphira. And all the best.

EPluribusUnum DIAMOND, Woodbine, Maryland

"I shut my eyes and all the world drops dead;
I lift my lids and all is born again.
(I think I made you up inside my head)."
-Sylvia Plath

This is too sweet! :D Made me tear up a little. I hope you continue sharing your writing as you "graduate" from TeenInk, because a) it's fantastic b) I do not want to say goodbye. Uh-uh. Thank goodness for Facebook and whatnot. So yeah, I'll talk to you later :)

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."
—Apple’s “Think Different” commercial, 1997
“Crazy people are considered mad by the rest of the society only because their intelligence isn't understood.”
― Weihui Zhou

It's been quite a while, friend, since we've communicated through this gateway that brought us together in the first place. Gateway of many fickle psyches and rambling muses. I'm honored to have been mentioned in this touching piece. And then to be gifted with your haiku. One of the best gifts anyone can give—their arduous work of love for words, beauty, life, and humanity. I think it's somewhat amusing for you to have placed that last quote that I wrote sometime when I was dreaming as always of a hopeful today and tomorrow. I'm still dreaming of that. I can't quit. But there are days when the valleys are too cavernous and overwhelmingly cynical. To read something like that quote births more hope. I bid you farewell. And best wishes on your journey through the Great Unknown we call Life. Best of fortune in all you do. Perhaps, one day we will cross paths again. (PS: I also request a signed copy of your work. Liv can't have all the fun. ;P)