Importance of Physical Fitness | Teen Ink

Importance of Physical Fitness

By Sathvik BRONZE, Olympia, Washington
Sathvik BRONZE, Olympia, Washington

According to CDC Facts, “Less than half (48%) of all adults meet the 2008 Physical Activity Guidelines. Less than 3 in 10 high school students get at least 60 minutes of physical activity every day.” The number of Americans who exercise daily is slowly diminishing. People need to get off couches, get outside and do some physical exercise. There are numerous reasons why physical exercise is important for the body and a key to living a long and happy life.  Everybody wants to be burly and healthy, but to attain that stage you must be physically active and spend time working out. Regardless of whether you think you are in good shape, exercising helps improve and strengthen your muscles. Another benefit of physical fitness is that the functionality of the brain improves and the mind becomes abundant with virtuous thoughts. Although many people are thinking that they get 60 minutes of exercise every day, people are only spending half the recommended time to exercise.

First and foremost, many people in the world would like to live a long life. In order to achieve this objective, a healthy mind and body is necessary. If people exercised for a majority of their time, the average age of people all over the world would eventually increase from 84 years to 94 years.  According to the Social Security Administration, the average man can live up to 84 years, whereas an average woman can live up to 86 yrs. A various number of significant celebrations occur almost every day and living a longer amount of time can let people witness more of these indispensable occasions. More opportunities are also granted to help society. As I was walking down the street one day, I had encountered a little child who was not able to reach his ball from a high branch on a tree. Due to my lack of exercising, I did not have the arm strength to reach the branch and pull his ball down.

There are lots of chronic diseases in the world and by maintaining a sustainable method of exercising there is a higher chance of avoiding these diseases. The most common diseases that people are plagued by are diabetes and obesity; these are developed by eating too much junk food. This is inevitable for many people. These diseases are often hereditary and if one person got this disease, there is a high chance of the following generations to get this disease. According to the American Diabetes Association, “if you are a man with type 1 diabetes, the odds of your child developing diabetes are 1 in 17”. Eating healthy food is the best way to redeem energy to live a happy and active life. With healthy characteristics like this, you can be mentally alert and intellectually sharp. By maintaining this habit, you can motivate many people to follow your way of living.
          Improving the current model of how your body looks by getting into shape or increasing the capacity of your strength can be very good for the muscles and bones. Physical fitness has both internal and external effects. Weight control is an important element of leading a healthy life. Regulating your caloric intake is a key aspect to monitor weight control. According to the National Health Service, the average male adult needs roughly 2500 calories per day and the average woman needs 2000 calories per day to maintain a consistent weight. Calories can increase the body’s weight. The metabolism of your body will also gradually alter you exercising habits begin to change. If the human body is infested with calories, obesity will rise which is unhealthy for most people. If too many calories are burnt then the human body begins to experience extreme fatigue and bones begin to erode. Physical fitness activities such as exercising, sports, running or jogging can mitigate exorbitant weight and create a slim and well-balanced body. Overall, a suitable amount of calories should remain in the body.

As the body becomes inured to exercise habits, the body tends to become more flexible and sinuous. Previous tasks that you may have completed could have taken a long time, but with a lithe body, these meticulous and laborious tasks become much easier to do. Any aerobic tasks will be much simpler to do with a “fit” body. Certain daily jobs require an assiduous mentality and a stronger body can assist in completing these jobs. Sleep and energy are some of the most necessary traits to live and complete life.

By exercising, the body becomes more relaxed and you can attain more sleep. According to The National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, seven to eight hours of sleep is necessary for the human brain and body. Many people are very mercurial and their temper alters almost every minute. The alleviation of high temper can be resolved by exercising. Physical exercise will eliminate most of the stress in the human body.

Many people do not know that exercising also benefits in brain function. Most everyday problems require a laborious process to complete and with just a little bit of thinking, a simple solution can be developed. Performing difficult and intellectual tasks in people's daily lives will become easier by developing cerebral thinking and out of the box thinking. According to Dr. John Ratey and his book- “Spark – The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain”- he states, “Exercise can help improve brain focus.” Many people are more efficient with their work after exercising. According to ACTIVE.com, “People who exercised during their workday were 23 percent more productive on those days than they were when they didn’t’ exercise. And the majority of the study participants (72 percent) did aerobic workouts.” Distractions are diverted, aberrations are assuaged, mood changes are mollified and your brain is only concentrated on the task you need to complete. Forbes Magazine states that one of the ways exercising can improve intellect are by enhancing memory power and being more productive. Being active lets, more information be stored and remembered in the brain's hippocampus. This creates a “win-win” situation in which you are able to learn and become smarter and you are physically fit. 

To increase the percentage of people qualifying for the Physical Fitness Guidelines, they need to gain more time for physical fitness. As John F. Kennedy said, "Physical fitness is not only one of the most important keys to a healthy body; it is the basis of dynamic and creative intellectual activity." Although people think that physical fitness has minimal importance to their life, it has a great impact on people's lives. Living a long and healthy life is one of the most popular ambitions. Improving muscles and strengthening the bones in your body is very beneficial to your body. Behaving and performing things in a smart way is something to always complement. It is commonly needed for school activities and communicating with the world. The next time you waste your time completing a futile task, and you know that the right thing to do is to exercise, think about the future of your body and the future of your learning career.

Sathvik BRONZE said...
Sathvik BRONZE, Olympia, Washington
This had very valuable information that I never knew!

TsunShun SILVER, Olympia, Washington

"Count your age by friends, not years. Count your life by smiles, not tears."

Very informative!

Sathvik BRONZE said...
Sathvik BRONZE, Olympia, Washington
very good!