Swim Class | Teen Ink

Swim Class

By Kelsey Wong BRONZE, Ardsley, New York
Kelsey Wong BRONZE, Ardsley, New York

It was a chilly Sunday morning, and I was hurriedly getting ready for swimming; I had woken up late, and I was slightly rushing through my morning routine.

After a quick breakfast, I was sitting in the car. Soon, my mom climbed in and we sped off.

The car wove its way along the familiar path to the YMCA. Scenery flashed past the window as I waited for us to arrive at our destination

We pulled into the parking lot and evacuated the car. A few cars away, I could see the smiling face of my friend waved frantically.

Excitedly, I raced into poking out of her window. She was calling something I couldn?t hear. Grinning, I lifted a hand and the building and spun around, hoping to see my friend speeding in as well.

No such luck. The only person who rounded the corner was my mother a few moments later. With a shrug, I accompanied her to the locker rooms.

Quickly, I got ready and pushed out into the pool room. Wait...Who are all of these people? Where?s the rest of the class? My heartbeat sped up as I turned to face the room of strangers.

?Um, I?m here for the 10:00 class,? I said timidly, feeling very self-conscious as they all stared at me.

?I?m afraid you?ve missed your class,? someone called out from the crowd. ?Did your mom forget to turn the clocks back for Daylight Savings??

This is a true anecdote that happened when I was just 6 years old.