Red | Teen Ink

Red

March 20, 2009
By Kira Greenberg SILVER, Kendall Park, New Jersey
Kira Greenberg SILVER, Kendall Park, New Jersey
8 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Red. But what kind of red? People think that red is red, but there are so many different levels to the color. As the color of conflict, it represents good and bad. It can be a man who is so angry that he can’t express it in words—but the color of his face says it for him. It can also be the entire body of a schoolgirl who just got a compliment from the boy she likes. Red has the passion of a woman in love, but also the fiery heat of extreme hatred. Red brings the kind of power that people feel when they walk down the long red carpet. It also means that danger is on its way. When people paint the town red they celebrate, and red is a joyous and fun-loving color. But it is also war and bloodshed and violence. When we think of red we think of the Devil and the pits of hell. Why is it that it also reminds us of Cupid and all that the Devil is against? The meanings and connotations are endless. If somebody said that their emotions could be described as “red”, no one would know what they meant. They could be happy. They could be sad. They could feel angry, or embarrassed, or empowered. Maybe they’re in love, or maybe they feel a sense of loathing. Maybe they’re scared, but maybe they are feeling the urge to go out and rejoice. They could even be concocting and evil scheme. Saying you feel red is about just as clear as the sky right before an enormous thunderstorm. How is it possible that one color is so contradictory and hypocritical? Even though the color red has many underlying meanings, most of them tie together in one common theme—emotion. And without this emotion, good or bad, life would be boring. So, on top of everything, red is the zest, excitement, and spice that is necessary in life.