A Taste you don't want to miss, but you do | Teen Ink

A Taste you don't want to miss, but you do

By Vonnie BRONZE, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Vonnie BRONZE, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

We woke up to oatmeal and turkey bacon on a daily basis, always maple for some odd reason. And the bacon was never fried only baked. Every once in a while breakfast would switch up for my brother and I, instead of bacon and oatmeal we would have cream of wheat with toast, light butter on the bread and only brown sugar to sweeten the wheat. The mushy, spongy texture of guck between the roof of my mouth and the taste buds on my tongue made me gag. I clearly didn’t understand how my brother would demolish such filth, which took me an eternity to swallow, so fast. When breakfast was over we both immediately came to conclusion that we would never force our child to eat oatmeal with turkey bacon...let alone cream of wheat no matter what. Lunch was always simple, Wheat bread turkey sandwiches, mustard, and cheese with a side of pickle. We never had a problem with eating during lunch manly because we never really enjoyed breakfast enough, so we would always hope lunch would do our stomach some justice. That was years ago when we would stay with Grandma. We moved away from grandma and oatmeal never tasted the same, neither did turkey sandwiches. And I often had the urge to eat cream of wheat with extra brown sugar. I guess that’s the price you pay when you complain.

this piece is dedicated to my grandmother and older brother