Vote To Lower the Voting Age | Teen Ink

Vote To Lower the Voting Age

May 22, 2018
By astrosack GOLD, Ashburn, Virginia
astrosack GOLD, Ashburn, Virginia
16 articles 0 photos 17 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Nobody's here for a reason. Make one."


The current voting age in America is eighteen. It should be lowered to sixteen. If people who are 16 years of age vote, it could make them more independent, and less of their choices would be influenced by other people. Also, it could be a beginning for 16-year-olds making decisions for themselves. I think that it is a good idea to let 16-year-olds vote.


People who are 16 are still making most of their decisions under the influence of their parents. We can change that. Parents should only influence 16-year-olds’ decisions if it is a harmful one. Other than that, parents should let their 16-year-old make his or her own decisions. It might be a big decision, but there are normally only around 26 candidates to choose from. (1)


People who make decisions more often by themselves would see the consequences of their actions earlier than most people would otherwise. If you make a bad decision for candidate and you realize it, it would have almost no effect in the grand picture. This could lead to making decisions more carefully. It also wouldn’t really have an effect when you learn to make careful decisions, because of all the other voters. One person makes a wrong decision? Good situation that there are 325.7 million minus 1 other voters to back you up. (2)


Some might say that 16-year-olds are too immature to make their own decisions. That’s not true! 16-year-olds are entitled to vote with the adults. They are responsible enough to drive a car. They have just as much right to voting as anyone else (except for 15 and under.) I think that we need to change this!


There are many reasons that 16-year-olds should be able to vote, and I’ve described just a few. I still do not think that 13-year-olds should vote, because they are still immature. I think that, at the very least, parents should be able to decide whether their 16-year-olds should vote. So in my opnion, 16-year-olds should be able to vote.