Singers/Actors - Riker and Rydel Lynch of R5 | Teen Ink

Singers/Actors - Riker and Rydel Lynch of R5

By TheJust ELITE, Ellenton, Florida
TheJust ELITE, Ellenton, Florida

"I feel that a hero is somebody who will stand up for their values and what they believe in and that can take any form. People that have values and have thought them through rather than those who just do what they’re told."-Skandar Keynes

"When it’

The band R5 has recently taken the music world by storm. These four siblings, along with their best friend, Ratliff, are quite accomplished as both musicians and songwriters, writing all of their music themselves. They have already released their first EP and are currently hard at work on their first full-length album.

I was recently given the opportunity to interview two out of the five band-members, Riker and Rydel. As well as being in R5, these two have also had parts in Glee and various other acting projects.

Rachel- Tell us about yourselves.

Riker Lynch- I'm the oldest of everyone. I play bass and sing in the band but I can also play piano, guitar, and some drums. I write most of the songs along with Rocky. I'm Jeff, one of the Warblers on Glee in the TV show and I also went on the Glee tour and you can see me in Glee: the 3D concert movie.

Rydel Lynch- Well hello there! {laughs} My name is Rydel and I'm 18 years old. I am pretty much always smiling and being silly. I'm really girly and a tomboy all at the same time! {laughs}

Rachel- How did you first become interested in the entertainment arts?

Riker- Ever since I was little I would always be singing and dancing. I learned dance moves from Michael Jackson and *Nsync. My brothers, Rydel, and I would always put on shows for family members in our basement and we charged everyone $1 to get in. {laughs}

Then eventually my mom got me and the rest of the family dance lessons and I started an actual glee club in Littleton, CO called Colorado Productions where I started to learn how to sing and act. I did that for almost 10 years and also started more serious dance lessons. I then realized performing was something I really loved and wanted to for the rest of my life so we all moved out to Los Angeles.

Rydel- Just followed Riker and ended up really, really enjoying it!

Rachel- What is the best thing about being in a band with your siblings?

Riker- Just doing what you love more than anything in the world with all of your best friends.

Rydel- It's so much fun! The boys are crazy and keep me entertained 24-7!

Rachel- What is the worst thing?

Riker- I can't even think of a bad thing. {laughs}

Rydel- I can't really think of a worst thing honestly. We have our opinions and stuff but everything is pretty great!

Rachel- How did you guys meet Ratliff?

Riker- We met him at a dance studio in California. At this time we literally had just started playing instruments and we found out he could play drums. So we asked him if he wanted to play drums in the band.

Rydel- When we moved out to L.A, we were training at a dance studio called the Rage, and Ratliff happened to be training there too!

Rachel- Rydel, what's it like being the only girl in a group of boys?

Rydel- It's interesting {laughs} but super fun! I love being "one of the boys."

Rachel- Who are your biggest musical inspirations?

Riker- For me personally, a big one is a band called McFly. They really inspire me when I write songs. Also The Script, The Beatles, All-American Rejects, Metro Station, bands like that.

Rydel-  Band wise, I love The Script, Neon Trees, and All Time Low.

Rachel- Are you guys working on a new album?

Riker- We are technically working on our first full album right now. Rocky and I have been writing new songs like crazy. Hopefully sometime around summer 2012 it all will be released, but we'll see, maybe sooner.

Rydel- Yes we are! We've been writing a ton of songs lately that are a little more edgy than the songs on our EP and we really hope you like them as much as we do!

Rachel- What has been your favorite song to write and record?

Riker- My favorite song to write was a song called "Always" I wrote it about a girl who, at the time, I had feelings for her for a long time but she never really felt the same back. So it's one of my more personal songs and I'm very proud of it.

My favorite song to record was probably "Say You'll Stay" that song has a lot of McFly influence and I just love it!

Rydel-  "It's a Love Thing" is a really fun upbeat song, and it was a fun recording session.

Rachel- Riker, what's your fondest memory from you time spent on Glee?

Riker- There are so many awesome memories it's very hard to pick one to tell about. {laughs} Pretty much everything about being on set with the guys and then going on tour was just absolutely amazing! The tour was probably my favorite. I just love performing, and being able to go on stage every night and just do that was so much fun. Plus being able to meet so many fans all around the world was so cool! I can't wait to do a world tour with R5!

Rachel- What has been your favorite television/film project to work on?

Riker- Definitely Glee. When I'm not doing stuff with the Warblers, I'm like, "I miss my blazer!" {laughs}

Rydel- Glee! All the girls who were in the number with me were so awesome and we had a great time!

Rachel- What new projects are you guys working on?

Riker- Just R5 at the moment and Glee whenever they need me. I danced in The Muppets which is in theaters November 23rd.

I'm just really focused on writing the best songs I can for this first album and becoming a better musician and songwriter.

Rydel-  I'm working on a Pilot right now called "Bunheads." I'm one of the dancers and if it gets picked up, it'll air on ABC family.

Rachel- What advice do you have for aspiring actors and singers?

Riker- If you absolutely love it more than anything in the world, don't give up. You gotta keep working hard because it's a lot tougher than it looks.

Rydel- Never give up. Hard work will always pay off!

Rainbow_Princess, Columbus, Ohio

"I can accept failure but, I can't accept not trying." ~ Michael Jordan ~

I love R5 Ross Lynch is Smexy lol and Rydel s Awesomazing

Rydellington said...
Rydelellington is the cutest couple ever and ELLINGTON RATLIFF is sexy

vAlvarez said...
Riker lynch rocks

well ive been dancing by myself for a few yrsand i acually havent gottenbetter i only tried easy thingd i havent when i was  little cuz i was scared then but i love singing acting dancing and i play instruments None of that has payed off yet

TheJust ELITE said...
TheJust ELITE, Ellenton, Florida

"When it’

Thanks so much!

r5 lover said...
love this and r5