Author Carolyn Meyer | Teen Ink

Author Carolyn Meyer

By saturntv BRONZE, Melbourne, Florida
saturntv BRONZE, Melbourne, Florida

"Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love." - Rainer Maria Rilke

Carolyn Meyer is a bestselling historical fiction author. Her works include the "Young Royals" series, "The Bad Queen: Rules and Instructions for Marie-Antoinette," and "Loving Will Shakespeare." In a series of emails, she agreed to answer a few questions for fans and aspiring writers.

Q: Why do you write?

A: “Don't know how to do anything else! It's all I've ever really wanted to do.”

Q: What are your interests besides writing?

A: “Cooking, theater, movies, reading, art museums, good restaurants.”

Q: How do you deal with writer's block?

A: “Not a problem. And I think with most people it's just an excuse for not doing it.”

Q: How did you get interested in writing historical fiction?

A: “I've always enjoyed doing research--sort of detective work--and historical fiction was a natural.”

Q: What research do you do for your books?

A: “Lots of reading from authoritative sources, lots of on-line searching for odd little facts, visits to the area when possible.”

Q: Have you written books in any other genres?

A: "I got my start writing how-to books and then other kinds of informational books for young readers. Then I migrated to historical fiction about a dozen years ago. My first book was published more than 40 years ago."

Q: What book are you reading now?

A: “The March, a novel about the Civil War by Doctorow; I’m also reading The Cleopatra Book by Stacey Schiff.”

Q: What is the hardest part of writing for you?

A: “Ignoring negative remarks from reviewers and readers after the book is published.”

Q: What is your favorite thing about your books?

A: “I do good research, my books are as accurate and authentic as I can make them, and I know how to tell a good story.”

Q: What are you working on now?

A: “The Wild Queen (Mary, Queen of Scots) and Victoria Rules."