Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

By Gem.w GOLD, Wilmington, Delaware
Gem.w GOLD, Wilmington, Delaware

Kristin Zerbe

John Dickinson High School, Wilmington, Delaware

English teacher

I was apprehensive at the beginning of my junior year when  I first started to take a regular English class in the United States. The English Language Learner class was too easy for me and  I wasn’t getting challenged, so I was determined to take a much more challenging class. I knew the correct usages of English, but I  sometimes was fearful to express myself. I couldn’t wait to take the class, but on the other side, I was worried if I would be able to do well.

On the first day of Mrs. Zerbe’s class, I was anxious before walking into the classroom. My name is hard to pronounce since Chinese pronunciation is so different than English. I knew how embarrassed I would be again when the teacher mispronounced my name out loud in the class, and then the whole class would explode into little whispers and laughter. My worries were not reassured until I saw Mrs. Zerbe standing by the door and trying to learn each student’s name before we went inside. That was such a comfortable way for me to tell my name instead of saying it out loud in the class again and again. As every other teacher did, Mrs. Zerbe put some sound marks beside my name. However, she only asked me once how to pronounce it by the door, and then she memorized it. Such an involuntary little act eased my worries and left me with a comfortable first impression of the class.

The room also impressed me after I walked in. It was pink. There was Hello Kitty -- her favorite obsession -- everywhere. All of the Hello Kitties were different in size, style, and dress

colors. Just like this girlish room, Mrs. Zerbe is such a sweet and meticulous teacher. She always observes the students and tries to know their personalities. To some quiet students like me, she carefully protects our feelings, creates opportunities for us, and motivates us to speak up and express ourselves. Every student who does well in her class can get a reward from one of the many “student of the month”, “ writer of the month” or “most improved” awards she offers. She gives students paper certificates and an extra prize. Before telling who is the winner, she explains why this person won this award and encourages us to continue doing well and keep an excellent attitude. The following day, the winner’s name is also read on the daily announcements for the whole school. I was one of these winners, so I clearly understand the joy and glory of being rewarded for my hard work and hearing my name announced for the school to hear. I often thought that I kept so quiet that teachers probably will not notice me in class. Actually, that works most of the time, but not in Mrs. Zerbe’s class. She pays close attention to every one of us.

To me, the most challenging part is writing. I decided to take Mrs. Zerbe’s creative writing course this year in order to improve my writing. I have a lot of problems such as frequent grammar mistakes and improper words in my writing. Sometimes, I even feel tired and uninterested myself about my own pieces. However, every time I get my journals back, there are always paragraphs and colored ink on them. Mrs. Zerbe comments on every one of my writings, reads my incondite compositions, and shares her understanding of each topic I wrote. Every grammar mistake is kindly pointed out with red ink. The last time I had a teacher spend time modifying my writing for me this well was in the third grade. I’ve heard a lot of students comment that Mrs. Zerbe a strict teacher. Instead, I think following every rule reflects that Mrs. Zerbe is conscientious of her job and her commitment to her students.

Therefore, I want to nominate Mrs. Zerbe as the Educator of the Year. She is not only a responsible teacher, but also a patient listener and a reliable adviser.