Educator of the year | Teen Ink

Educator of the year

April 5, 2019
By Sportzfanatic31 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
Sportzfanatic31 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Chris Herriot and I met in the 9th grade at the age of 15. How I met him is that I was in his U.S. History class for one semester and then I had him in psych class.

I would like to give him this award. Mr. Herriot helped me with all the issues I had in school. From me, struggling in school and other people calling me names he was always there.

He also had a no sleeping policy that lead people to laughing at the end of the class. When he asked if this one kid was sleeping, he would sneak up on the sleeping kid tap the table with his cane to wake them up. His signature words after the student freaks out is “Are you doing drugs?”

“No sir,” the student would say.

Shiny head Mr. Herriot would say “good otherwise you would be out of my classroom.”

Mr. Herriot does other things too, from setting an example as a role model to coaching track and teaching kids how to get faster and stronger. This includes me (when he calls one of the slower groups to run.) “3,2,1 go” he says as I am running. He keeps cheering me on and keeps me in a positive mood when ever I am near him.

“Marmes has the speed” he says as I finish the run/ “Good job, Marmes. We need to work more on your stamina.”

I laugh and say “will do.”

What he does for me is so much more than teach me. He makes it so I’m engaged with the class by how he teaches the classes I have him in.  This might involve him asking me a funny question or saying something to me that might get my attention with something like sports.

In his class, we always talk about current events for fun and last time I was in his class I never did it. So ever since Psych, I always brought up current events. He always called on me knowing I was gonna say something. Then with the grin on his face he said, “Let me guess it's something to do with sports?”

Looking in shock he knew I looked down while he had that triumphant smile.

This is why I think Mr. Herriot should win this award. He knows how to work with kids that don't normally work well in a standard classrooms and he makes all the kids want to come back and have him for another class. He knows how to make kids laugh and he knows how to brighten up someone's day.