Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

By noravoght GOLD, Merton, Wisconsin
noravoght GOLD, Merton, Wisconsin

"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."-Albert Einstein

“Keep practicing, stay focused.” This line is constantly repeated by Mrs. Markano. I have always struggled in school, had trouble focusing, and completing assignments by deadlines. Her simple line, I will remember for the rest of my life. 

Hearing this everyday changed how I felt. To know a teacher cares and wants you to do well is not something that most students feel in school. 

For all of her students at Arrowhead High School, Markano cares about how they are doing, how they are feeling, and how she can help. As an acting teacher, it takes a lot to get students involved, participating, and enjoying the class. She always finds a way to wake up the class and get everyone in a good mood, no matter how they might have felt coming into the class. This also comes from how she expresses herself and how she puts herself into the students' shoes. So whether she may be feeling great or feeling down, she always brings her students up and makes sure they have a better day. 

As an acting teacher, English teacher, and director for drama and AHS Broadway Company, it seems like there is nothing Mrs. Markano can’t do. Having her as a teacher or supervisor I understand how much she cares about her students and her classes. I can tell how much work she puts into making every single one of her classes fun, interesting, and a learning experience. 

The first day I walked into her acting class, she said, “If you are here to slack, not try, and hold the rest of our class back; if you need an art credit and heard that this class was an easy A; then get out. If you aren’t going to put in the effort and make the class more fun for everyone else, drop the class.” You rarely hear this from other teachers, but I understand why she says this. For many students, acting is their way of expressing themselves, and gives them the ability to do everything they can’t in other classes. Many times this helped kids find the motivation and lead to a better class environment overall. 

From my experience both freshman year, sophomore year, and the beginning of junior year— in both English and acting—she teaches real-life skills. If a student misses days of practice/school they do not get extra time; this falls on all other partners and themselves. She’s showing students in the real world how actions have consequences that don’t only affect them .

Mrs. Markano has become a mother to her students and especially to me. She has completely changed how I view my other classes and how I express myself. She has taught me life lessons and changed how I view different people and classes. She has left the biggest impression on me throughout my high school years and will carry on in my mind forever. So for being the best and my favorite teacher, thank you, Mrs. Markano.