Not an Educator but a Teacher | Teen Ink

Not an Educator but a Teacher

By liltatz20 BRONZE, Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
liltatz20 BRONZE, Chambersburg, Pennsylvania

The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.

Mrs. Meixell is one of the most special teachers I’ve ever had in my ten years of schooling. She teaches one of my absolute favorite subjects, literature. This beautiful woman has taught me so much about life in the short couple of months I had her as a teacher. Mrs. Meixell is a conversationalist, an intelligent lady to converse with, and my confidant. Through the many conversations we have had, I have always felt like I had her undivided attention. She had different opinions than I. and We still were able to have educational conversations where both of us were comfortable. Not once did I get a negative impression that either of us was oversharing or unable to respectfully express our voice. There is never a topic that is inappropriately off-topic. I come to see her almost every week to catch up with my friend. School can often feel like one of the ugliest buildings you can see in a lifetime. Mrs. Meixell erases the “school prison'' stereotype. With warm lights, comfortable chairs, and books, her room is a magical place. This welcoming atmosphere is the place that makes you motivated to learn.  The door is also open, figuratively and physically. She always makes sure to follow her work rules (and grammar rules!) too.

Mrs. Mexiell is a mom for students who struggle with parental issues. There will never be a moment that you feel unloved by her. She strives to make a connection with every student who walks through her classroom and almost everyone who comes out changes for the better. She is inspirational and she is passionate about what she does every day. She is a human called to teach, a fan-favorite teacher for many years to come. My favorite school lesson was a unit she taught me about Mount Everest. The perseverance of climbing the highest, most dangerous mountain in the world. I was always engaged and excited to learn more. I learned what it meant to be tough and to continue to grow even when it feels like you can not. She taught a class of 23 other students about self-growth by reading a book about a mountain far away. My favorite personal lesson she has taught me is that love is one of the most divine things on earth. Although many people agree with this statement, Mrs. Meixell put it into perspective for me. She made me feel confident in myself. She helped me through one of the toughest times of my life. A childlike high-school freshman into a willful strong young woman.

I will be forever in Mrs. Meixell’s debt for everything she has done for me. She does not educate, she teaches. Mrs. Jenifer (mom) Meixell deserves to be the educator of the year because she is one of a kind. This unforgettable woman makes getting through the school day easier. She will always bring a smile to my face and a warming of my soul.

I am someone who adores having good conversations. Mrs. Meixell is an absolute awesome person.