Chris Fanning | Teen Ink

Chris Fanning

By fortnite_gurl_OG GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
fortnite_gurl_OG GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

It all started in 7th grade after school at Lake Country. I met a man who would be a huge influence in my life—someone I spend hours a week with even to this day. 

As the team circled around waiting to start the first day of basketball practice, a man walked up to us and said “Hey fellas, I’m Coach Fanning, and I will be your coach this year.” Right off the bat, he insisted that we don't call him Mr. Fanning. He said we should call him Coach, Fans, or Chris. This just shows from the beginning he wanted to be on the same level of communication as the team. 

I didn't know it then, but he would then go on later to become a very influential person in my life. Through the years I knew him as a different person. Volleyball and Basketball coach towards the end of middle school. Throughout every interaction with him, he treats you like his own and shows compassion to everyone. He is always trying to make your day better by complimenting you or just giving you encouragement. On Saturday morning practice he always brought danishes for the team. We not only looked forward to the danishes but interacting with him.   After every season, he hosted a team dinner where he and his wife, Amy, cooked us a meal. He spends countless hours of his week instructing and inspiring.

He not only spends time coaching. He pairs this with Young Life. When I learned about Young Life, a Christian youth group I immediately wanted to participate. I heard Chris talk about it previously during the seasons. When I went to the first gathering there he was standing there by the door introducing himself and greeting every single person who walked through the door. “What's up sobs?” He said to me as he High fived me. Welcome! He had special nicknames for everyone.  

Chris has been a young life leader for a very large portion of his life. By just listening in on the gatherings, you can really tell how passionate he is. He is always making sure that every little thing is prayed for, whether it is the loss of a family member or not doing good on a test, he is always there for you. 

As we meet every Monday at 7:29 for every Young Life, and even trips with him across the country to learn more about Jesus. Our relationship continues to grow with every interaction.
Fans always have a smile and are eager to teach whether it is sports or religion, and he is very passionate about what he does.