Mr. Moore | Teen Ink

Mr. Moore

February 14, 2024
By xBowtie007 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
xBowtie007 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Ever since the 4th grade, I have had such an extreme passion for playing t he drums. It started as a science project; we were studying sound waves and how they worked. My teacher had an assignment that would change the way I live to this day. 

 

The assignment was to create an instrument using household items. In my case, I grabbed some of my dad’s car wash buckets from the garage, and some of my mom’s wooden cooking spoons. I ended up having so much fun that I joined the middle school band as a percussionist. 


Although I didn't learn much from the school that I was in, my parents bought me an electronic drum set for my birthday. I was hoping to get started with private lessons or something to help me improve, but I taught myself what I thought was all I would have needed to know. 


This was far from the truth. As I walked into the freshman year marching band at Arrowhead high school, I met Mr. Moore. I was arrogant at first because I wanted to play all of the cool and fast stuff. Mr. Moore taught me that sometimes playing music is about playing a little bit slower, but making it look clean and sound good and it makes drumming that much more entertaining. At the beginning of freshman year, I had no knowledge on how to read music and had no intent in learning it as I felt that I was a strong enough player to overcome it. 


I then ended up having a conversation with him about my knowledge of drumming and he knew that there was potential for me to be a good drummer. I said something along the lines of, “ I never really learned how to read music even though I have been playing for so long.” So, he came up with a challenge for me. He wanted me to get some scrap paper from my binder, and just start writing out the music. This challenge was supposed to show me basic reading and writing skills that Mr. Moore knew I could learn. Originally, I was just supposed to write a snare drum part so that I could get the idea of how reading and writing music worked. But, luckily for me, Mr. Moore was so inspirational that I decided that I wanted to take the snare drum part that I wrote and I wrote a whole drum cadence for our drumline to play at the next concert. So, he took my sample pieces, made his own little changes, and we performed it at the fall percussion ensemble concert. 


Mr. Moore also pulled me aside after the fact and asked me, “would you be willing to write and perform a drum set solo at the concert?” 


Of course, I was ecstatic. I was so excited that I skipped my jazz rehearsal that day so that I could go home and start writing.


I can't even explain to him or anyone else how much this meant to me and how cool it was to experience this. I got to perform my own piece with all of my drumline friends in front of a nationally ranked band and our families. On top of that, I was able to write a solo and perform in front of the same crowd. The smile that erupted from my face after we performed.


This doesn't just go for me either. This goes for the whole band as he has influenced many of them to try new things. We have a few wind performers joining our percussion ensemble so that they can learn more about music from him.


 On top of this, Mr. Moore also teaches outside of Arrowhead. He teaches at another school along with being the person that writes and performs the drumline pieces for the Millwakee Bucks and the Green Bay Packers. With all of his knowledge and skill, he was quickly able to pick up teaching drumming to not only his students, but to his fellow performers. I could not possibly have ever asked for a better teacher. 


If It wasn't for that 4th grade project and the teachings of Mr. Moore, I probably would have never picked up a set of drumsticks. I am beyond thankful for Mr. Moore and hope that one day I could be as good of a drummer and role model to other people.