Shawn | Teen Ink

Shawn

February 15, 2024
By Anonymous

In the middle of my riding lesson I started to show my worried face and Shawn knew something wasn’t quite right. She told me, “Stop for a second and come here.” As I started walking over I couldn’t hold it together anymore. She asked me “What’s wrong, tell me,” I was overwhelmed with family stuff but didn’t want to say it. She put everything on pause and allowed me to talk about it and helped me get out what was weighing down on me. She gave me the feeling of support and calm to remind me it would all be okay, whatever happens. 


When I first started riding and met Shawn I was only 10 years old. I immediately admired her and looked up to her even as a young kid. I didn’t quite know at the time but I would be spending the next eight plus years at WestWind.


Shawn is an amazing rider and I’ve always looked up to her for that. I remember begging my dad to stay at the barn for just a little longer so I could watch her ride and teach. She made this sport my passion and grew my love for it.


From 10 years old she helped make it possible for me to continue growing to get better and better. And she somehow was even able to make my childhood dream come true—owning my own horse. 


When I was little, I used to put a picture of a horse on my Christmas list every year and even though my parents obviously wouldn’t buy a little six-year-old girl a horse, Shawn made it happen 10 years later. She was able to work with my grandpa who she has worked with in the past and they found a way to help out with the purchasing of the horse. It was something I didn’t think was ever possible but they made it happen.


Not only is she an exceptional teacher, she is lovely to be around. As I met her so young I got to grow up by her side. Throughout the years I was able to learn tons from her and learn more about her as a person. She is one of the most impressive, hardworking, and caring people that I have ever met. She brings warmth and comfort to others and she brings that feeling into the barn. She has been able to make the barn a happy place for me and an atmosphere that can’t be compared. I know that everytime I step in the barn there is joy and laughter around me and that’s a feeling like no other. 


Shawn has always been there for me and I appreciate it more than she might think. This is a part of my life I will never forget and that I'll cherish forever. The barn is like a second home and the people that I met through it are like my family. Thank you for bringing this into my life.