A New Memory Every Day | Teen Ink

A New Memory Every Day

Just the feeling of walking down the same hallways every day gets so old, with the same stupid boys and the pretty little prissy girls and the freshman who need to get over themselves. It would all be torture if I didn't have my friends, but sometimes even they aren't enough.

After my dad passed away last year, things have been rough. I pulled off my usual A and B grades all through high school until this year.

When my dad died, my family fell apart. I seem to be the only one who has tried to reconnect with my stepmother. I have seen my dad's side of the family on probably less than 5 occasions since then. My brother hasn't talked to me or even made the slightest effort to talk to my mother since his death. His death occurred on February 24, 2007.

All of this has made me very sensitive and very emotional. Since then, I have made new friends and lost friends, but one person has always remained in my life- Jann Kalscheur. She was there during my freshman year when I had a huge up and down spell of mood swings. She was there supporting me during my sophomore year when my dad had cancer. She was at his memorial supporting me then. She understands, because she lost her mother to cancer. At any age, losing a parent is hard. She was there for me to help me find scholarship opportunities in preparation for college. Right now she is helping me study for my second time taking the ACT's. Even when I lose confidence, or have something bad happen in my life, or make a stupid mistake, or get an ACT score I'm not proud of-she makes it better. She makes me feel sane. She calms me down.

And every single day is different. Every single day, we find something new to laugh about. Every day is a new memory.

teachme said...
This was a fantastically written article! In such a short amount of writing I felt like I was really able to get to know the author. Thank you for sharing so honestly with us!