when i first learned | Teen Ink

when i first learned

By lyndsey cross SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
lyndsey cross SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

When my mom signed me up for the all girls English class my sophomore year, I wasn’t too excited about it. I am not very good at grammar and I wasn’t very interested in improving my skills. However, I enjoyed reading and writing. My first day of class I was late, of course, and I walked into the classroom and took the only seat left, assuming it was mine. The first thing Mrs. Whitehouse handed me was a grammar packet. I sighed, “Oh great, this is going to be a long year.”

I have always struggled with my English grade. I love to read and write but I could not, for the life of me, ever understand grammar. But thanks to Mrs. Whitehouse that all changed.
I learn best when the teacher keeps the class interesting. There are so many teachers who expect you to learn from sitting through a lecture. That does not mix well with ADD. I can safely say I have never been bored or fallen asleep in English, and for me, that is quite the accomplishment.
When Mrs. Whitehouse gave the class the option of signing up for her to assist us in editing our papers, I was overwhelmed with happiness. I knew I could write very well, I just needed a little help with the cohesion and having my papers make scene. Of course, the grammar was not in top shape either. When I went in for extra help I could tell she cared about my education and wanted me to understand the material. She didn’t give up on me and she quickly caught on to my learning ability and that helped both of us get a better understanding of each other.
She is one of the funniest teachers I have ever had. Before every class, she would ask the class what was new in our lives (like sporting events or birthdays). Then, she would go into my favorite part: book discussion. She would tell the class about the latest book she has read. Then, the class would have the chance to say books they have read. Towards the beginning of the year, there were not many volunteers. Gradually, this changed to a full class participation at the end of the year. I think Mrs. Whitehouse helped encourage the all girls’ class to read more.
Mrs. Whitehouse has the warmest heart and quickly became more than a teacher. She is such an easy person to talk to and that was really important to me. After awhile she could see when I was having a bad day and she was always open to a hug and a helping heart. With a sincere, voice she made all my troubles go away. It is incredibly easy to get along with her because we have a great deal in common, from family functions to being a slave to a good book. Oh and our obvious love of Johnny Dep.
Through the whole year, I learned so much more than just English from Mrs. Whitehouse, all of which I haven’t forgotten. With out a doubt, Mrs. Whitehouse is educator of the year. Mrs. Whitehouse is like a cameleon and can adapt to any persons learning ways and help them succeed.