Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

By TheGreatGizmo SILVER, Haartland, Wisconsin
TheGreatGizmo SILVER, Haartland, Wisconsin

"Any pizza can be a personal pizza if you believe in yourself."

Throughout my life I experienced  someone who appears as a father or mother figure. These are the people who you accidentally call “Mom” or “Dad” who I became close enough with that I begin to see them as a member of your family. We develop a deep psychological bond with the other, making it impossible to imagine life without them. For me that “Mom” would be my ceramics teacher, Marlene Millevolte.
Since age five, I went to the Lake Country Fine arts center, a studio in downtown Hartland. I loved working with clay, but that wasn’t the real reason I kept going there week after week. In addition to being an amazing role model, she inspired her students with the love she shows for the community. She always gave me helpful advice, and she helped guide me to become the artist I am today.
Marlene inspires me with her community outreach and the love she shares. She has proven this countless times, by inviting people of all backgrounds to come into her studio and sculpt. I have seen people in wheelchairs, rollers, some who couldn’t see while other could barely move their own hands. She’d break past these barriers and find ways to teach anyone regardless of their disability. Shocking me, the first time I realized it.
Marlene constantly reaches out to her community with projects like Empty Bowls, where she will recruit others to help make bowls to raise money to feed the homeless. Hartland Lights, North Shore’s Amazing bike race or local St. Charles fall fest. She sacrifices her time to teach those who suffer from physical as well as mental disabilities. She has gone so far to help them, she even created a bendable brush for those who cannot hold a normal brush properly. After every single project she idolizes her student’s work, making them feel on top of the world.
For years I have accidentally called her “Mom.” She is part of my family, and someone who I view as my mother. This is because she gives me parental advice on like boys, school, friendships, and art projects.
Last week, I had trouble with deciding on the color scheme for one of my art projects. I suffer from color blindness. I couldn't have have figured out what color to use myself, even if I’ve been doing this for years. But in the end, Marlene made sure I was not messing up any of my art projects with the wrong type of glaze. She introduced me to new friends in the community of the studio.
I have known her for over 12 years and never view her any differently. Her ceramic studio has an enormous impact on the community and my life. I consider myself lucky to know someone who can, not only inspire others to return the love to the people, but also provide great life advice to shape the future of her students.  I was lucky enough to be one of those students. My aspiring career as an artist would not be successful without her help. Because of her I want to pursue an ceramics degree just like her. I want to follow in the footsteps of my mother.

Insprired from my ceramic teacher who helped mold me intot he person I am.