Andy Boucher: Teacher of the Year | Teen Ink

Andy Boucher: Teacher of the Year

By Ally1055 BRONZE, Sussex, Wisconsin
Ally1055 BRONZE, Sussex, Wisconsin

Kindergarten is the first real year of school: you learn to read, you learn the ABC's, and you learn how to count.  Count in music, that is. Mr. Boucher was my first music teacher at Merton Primary School and,"my mom’s best friend." He taught me from 5K until third grade, and he is responsible for my love of music.

He believes in making school a safe, friendly, and exciting environment. He teaches using games. My favorite games were telephone, which inclines your listening ability; doggie doggie where's your bone, which requires you to listen and repeat different rhythmic patterns; and musical instrument stations where you read music and play the beat with the instrument given to you. Over the years, his students and I were blessed with his passion and admiration for teaching music.

When I was around a year old, I was diagnosed with epilepsy. I took medication until I was eight; and during that time, Mr. Boucher taught me. Because of my medication, I would act very calm, quiet, and dopey. I did not have any energy and I was hopelessly shy. Due to this, I was like Eeyore from Winnie the Pooh.

At a young age, I was believed to be musically inclined with counting skills, a voice as clear as spring water, and a natural sense of rhythm. Mr. Boucher saw my passion, so during recess and after school, he'd let me come into his classroom and play with the instruments. He knew I didn't have friends, so he'd ask me how my day was and make sure I'd leave with a smile as wide as the Pacific Ocean. I started to speak in music class, and became less shy towards other children. Soon I was Pooh from Winnie the Pooh rather than Eeyore.

Mr. Boucher not only helped me, but many other kids at Merton Primary School as well. After hours, he teaches children piano, and creates an environment where they can learn and express their thoughts and feelings outside of the home. Even when the school made budget cuts, he continued to teach at Merton because he has a heart that wants to spread its rhythm and song to the minds of our young. 

The other day, one of my co-workers asked me, "Ally, where did you go to grade school?"
I responded with, "Merton."

Her eyes lit up like Candy Cane Lane during Christmas time as she explained that her child goes there now and loves to play piano. She went into detail about how her son has a funny, yet sweet, piano teacher that inspired him to really get into music.

I looked at her with a warm smile and said, "Are you speaking of Mr. Boucher?"

"Yes! Andy!"she said, "He's the Best!"

And indeed he is the best. He accepts students of any kind (like the Eeyore I am), teaches with an undeniable burning, brighter than the moon after an eclipse passion, and makes learning fun with games like doggie doggie where's your bone. He can truly relate to kids and has a knack for identifying talented children at a young age. That is why I choose him to be my teacher of the year, and I've chosen him to be my teacher of the year, every year.