EOY | Teen Ink

EOY

June 5, 2018
By JohnVernon BRONZE, Newark, Delaware
JohnVernon BRONZE, Newark, Delaware
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

A substitute math teacher, Mr.Myers, had an impact not only on myself but on the classes he taught. He inspired us to strive for greatness and to not get discouraged if things don’t go our way. He is my nomination.

 

Did you ever have that awesome, cool teacher in high school?

Mr.Myers was our long term Algebra 1 substitute. Our current teacher was pregnant and due to have a baby so he was with us for about 3 months. When he was younger, he knew what he wanted to be when he grew up, a teacher. So pursuing that dream he went to college for just that. After college he started to work as a math teacher. Although, he wasn’t feeling that the schools were right for him. So on he went and many many schools later he found DMA. They offered him a long term substitute job, and he happily accepted.

Let’s talk about his spirit. Every morning when we walked into class, he always got the class pumped and on our feet. Every now and again, he would pause the lesson and we would have story time. He would tell us about his past schools and how he became the man he is today. He also did not take anyone’s crap. He taught us about having great attitude and we learned when and when not to goof around. He also taught the subject in a very unique way. He would add in real life situations, so it was not just numbers and letters. The last thing about his spirit is that he treated every student equally, boy or girl. He would never call anyone out or embarass them in any way.

Finally, he affected me and my life. Whenever I needed help on a question or I was confused, he would always find a way to help me understand the concept better. If he saw that I was off track, he would kindly help me back up. On a test, if I got an answer incorrect, he would write notes telling me how I can fix it and what I need to focus on more. Even though I never really used his email for help, it still gave me a sense that he was there for me when or if I needed.

So in conclusion, I have nominated Mr. Myers for the Educator of the Year because I think he has had the most impact on my life so far this year. He is a great teacher and any student who is lucky to have him should be thankful. Personally I do not think that I could have nominated anyone else. Thank you Mr. Myers for everything that you have done for me.