Thank You, WWII Veteran | Teen Ink

Thank You, WWII Veteran

By jacksonA21 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
jacksonA21 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

Dear WWII Veteran,

I’m assuming you get this a lot, well, I hope you get this a lot, but I can’t think of a better way to start this letter than with the most cliché five word sentence a veteran can hear. Thank you for your service.

My name is Jackson and I’m a senior in high school. My great grandfather is also a WWII veteran, but he just passed away this year. My great grandfather was such an impactful individual to have in my life, just as you are to your friends and family. Those who are lucky enough to personally know you, I envy them, as anyone who has the bravery and the selfishlessness to give up years from your life, to risk them fighting across seas for our lives, is someone that everyone would want to be friends with.

I hope that this letter is able to have some type of impact on you, as your actions have impacted me, it’s only fair that mine are able to reciprocate that. I’m about to be graduating high school, and instead of opting for the military, my plan is to attend college, which is another reason why I thank you, because if it wasn’t for your sacrifices, I can’t safely say I’d be attending college.

I wish I was able to write a letter to every single World War II veteran, all (estimated) 558,000 that are still alive today, and thank them for everything they put up for the sake of our country. To put that into perspective, that’s about the amount of people who reside in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, not far from where I live! That’s why we have national holidays, such as Veteran’s day, and Memorial day, to make it a little easier to honor you, my great grandfather, your squad, and all others who fought for the States.

Unfortunately, I can’t write over 500,000 letters and still stay sane, so instead, I hope that this letter, for you, makes up for it. I can’t even express with words how much your choices and your decisions have impacted me, everyone at my school, and everyone in our country. God bless America, and again, Thank you for your service.

Sincerely,

Jackson