Thank You, Veteran | Teen Ink

Thank You, Veteran

January 4, 2019
By Draculetta_Star GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
Draculetta_Star GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
13 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Dear Vietnam Veteran,

Mornings, the most gorgeous time of the day. Everything begins to stir, rise, sing, and whisper “thank you” to an ever growing morning sun. People begin another day. Cheering, laughing, preparing for their busy schedule which sprinkles their day with endless work. On mornings like these I hear the faint murmur inside my head, a tiny voice hushly speaking of soldiers who, at the same time I take a breath, are also rising for their day or hunkering down for a long night. I’m reminded of how, for each second I get to walk into a school, wear the clothes I wish, or express myself the way I truly feel, that these moments were paid for me by strong and courageous American troops. My whisper of “thank you” isn’t just for the chickette that happens to whistle back, but for the sweet veteran who I’m writing to right now.

My name is Nayla and I’m a Junior in high school. When I was young, I’m not sure how old, I found out my grandpa was a Korean Veteran. Looking back at the beginning of my life, I noticed from a young age how I’d always get giddy when I’d get to sit through a long story from an American Veteran guest speaker at school. Hearing those amazing, awe striking experiences always brightened my day. With my grandpa though I never asked him questions before he passed away two years ago. It’s one of my biggest regrets. His stories, I’ve always wondered what he could have shared to me.

For you, I know you hold inside stories. Memories. I know when you returned home it was like the world didn’t want the stories you harbered. They wanted to lock them away and forget it all or shut them down inside you because they shouldn’t have been made. To think you didn’t get a decent and heart warming Welcome home soldier! is baffling to me and my heart hurts deeply knowing how unappreciated people were to your efforts back then.

But I want you to know now things have changed and I welcome you home. I want to hear your stories, and I want to say thank you. I can’t just say “thank you for your service” though, because there’s so much more that needs and should be said rather than a simple phrase. Thank you for your courage that inspires the world to work hard like you did. Thank you for taking on the tough task that not even half of the people of this country live through. Thank you my well fought and amazing veteran.

Remember, your stories are important. Don’t let others try and convince you otherwise. I hope this trip was that of a lifetime and that your coming days are filled with much love and laughter.


God bless you and much love,

Nayla


The author's comments:

I wrote this letter for a Vietnam Veteran who will be going on an upcoming Honor Flight.