My Dad | Teen Ink

My Dad

January 22, 2019
By Ali_1503 BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
Ali_1503 BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“Anyone can be a father, but it takes someone special to be a dad, and that's why I call you dad because you are so special to me. You taught me the game, and you taught me how to play it right.”  -Wade Boggs. My dad teaches and leads me in life every day. I see my dad as a hero, a personal one and one to our country. The reasons why he is a hero is because, my dad is in the military, a great leader, and a loving father.

The military has been a big part of my dad's life since when he was 17. A man who was recruiting said he could get money for college. I'm sure he knew the risk he was taking, but it all seemed to real when he was deployed in 2004 he left his wife, my mom, and his newborn daughter to fight for our country. He was deployed to Iraq. Then in 2008, he was deployed once again. My mom, baby sister, and I were left in Minnesota while he was in Iraq. Once he got home from Iraq the second time. There hasn’t been deployed since.

To this day my dad has been working non-stop for the National Guard. He has been working to bring his military rank up for a long time as well. For a couple of years, he had gone back to school to become a Sergeant Major. He had about two to three years of online school to graduate. All he really did was work on his school work. Back in February my dad had to go to Texas for a month to finish his schooling. My family and I went to see him graduate from it. It was almost if a weight was lifted off his shoulders.

Recently now my dad has been hired as the Sergeant Major for a base in Wisconsin. We were very proud of my father. Since then he has been working very hard on that job. Before he had gotten hired for that he worked for another base. That was in Madison, Wisconsin. He would have to go there one weekend per month. At his new job, it feels like he is gone for more than two weeks in the month. When he is gone I miss him a lot but, I know it is his duty to be there. At the end of the day, I know my dad has a hard job in the military. And I don't know anyone else who could do better than him. As my dad continue to work there. He has become a better leader than ever.

I have already said my dad is in the military, but his position makes him a leader. My dad Is a Sergeant major, which makes him one of the leaders of his brigade. He has to work together with the general to make decisions. My dad tries his best to be a great leader. I know that he worries a lot about it but to me, he does a great job. Even the stress of work and responsibilities don't get him down. And he continues to lead in the military with ease. He doesn't only lead in the military but, close to home as well.

My dad is also one of my church's elders. He helps make decisions and tries to get everyone to make the right decisions for my church. Also helps with the school board too. Working to help make sure everyone knows what is going to happen for our church in the future. He works hard to keep everyone in a state of mind to think of what's best for the church and school. I feel he gets underappreciated for all the work he puts into helping everyone.

At my dad's work, he is also a leader. He has to make sure he makes a good impression because works at a prison he is watched by the prisoners. This is where being a good influence and leader will make the biggest difference in someone's life. He helps give the inmates a future when they leave prison. My dad is an Electrician; when he is there he helps teach the prisoners about electricity so they may have a job in the future. So when they leave the prison they may be able to live a productive life in society and get their life back.

Even though my mom might disagree my dad is also the leader of our household. He helps make the right decisions to help my family life as comfortable as possible. My dad is an excellent leader in the military, my church, and at his work. In my house, he is the best leader.

My dad is one of my biggest helpers. He is always ready to help my sister, my mom, or me at any chance he has. He is very smart and knows what to say at almost any time. He will help me with my homework when I am struggling. He does the same for my sister. When I need to finish a project my dad will give me the advice to finish it.

When he helps me with my homework, he also teaches me. He teaches me new subjects and also thoughts I already know. My dad has also taught me how to grow up. When things scare me and I think I can't do it. My dad is there to help and teach me how. When I don't know how to do certain things on my own. He teaches me how to do them.

My dad helps and teaches me and that is the formula of a fantastic father. He is leading me up the steps of life. Even when the times get rough and almost unbearable he is there. He and my mom are always there to help me. Even when he was gone I knew he would come back and help me through life. And that makes him a great father.

My dad is a soldier, leader, and father, and that makes him my hero. “A father is neither an anchor to hold us back nor a sail to take us there, but a guiding light whose love shows us the way.” When I was younger my dad always tries to get me to do things I don't like to do. Now that I’m older, doing those things don’t scare me as much anymore. I’ll work without a fuss, and I hope that makes him proud. Being my father's legacy is tough. He has shown me the path and, the beginning of a new road.