Thank You, Veteran | Teen Ink

Thank You, Veteran

By tenniscourt001 GOLD, Dousman, Wisconsin
tenniscourt001 GOLD, Dousman, Wisconsin

Dear World War II Veteran,

I would like to start off saying how much gratitude I would like to direct towards you for your sacrifices to our country. It takes a lot of courage and bravery to do what you did and I am greatly appreciative for that. Teens these days love to party and hangout with friends, go out to eat, go shopping, take trips together, drive around and blast music. These opportunities are ones that you may have given up to serve our country so that we are able to have them now. One must truly have a kind heart to sacrifice as much as you did and serve our country to ensure that we can grow up with the best lives possible.

My name is Courtney and I am a junior in high school. A few years ago my family visited Oahu, Hawaii, where the Pearl Harbor memorial is. We spent hours at the memorial putting into perspective what it must have been like. I could not imagine how hard fighting in a war would be, especially one like World War II. Seeing all the names of the people who sacrificed for us and all the reminders of the horrible things that happened made my heart shatter into pieces. Tears formed in my eyes hearing about and seeing all of the destruction that occurred. I am very appreciative of all the sacrifices you made during something so horrific as this. I could not imagine leaving my family and all I knew at a young age, the age I am now, to go from somewhere where my life was secured and safe to a war where terror awaited.  From feeling immense levels of fear every day to losing close friends, watching them die in your arms, I can only imagine how many sacrifices were made and how hard it was to do so. All for our country and the life I live now.

My grandpa was a part of the Navy between the Korean and Vietnam wars and fortunately did not have to make as horrific of sacrifices you and many others had. I am greatly appreciative of his service to our country, even so small. My cousin also just joined the Marines to hopefully carry on the legacy you and all your fellow soldiers hold. All of these things inspired me to write to you and truly show you that I do care about what you did for the country and for the life I live today.

I recently visited NYC and visited the 9/11 Memorial and all the horrors of that. I could not imagine how hard it was to be in something much greater, and entire war. There is so much you hold inside about your memories. I care about you and your stories and I am very glad that you have gotten the chance to be able to fly to the memorials in DC and see all of the appreciation and honor this country holds for you. I wish I could be there to meet you and hear about your experiences in the past, but I would just like to say welcome home and I hope that the Honor Flight was a day for you to remember and help you understand how important your service was to us.

I am very interested in hearing about your stories if you have the time to right back.

Thank you for your service and welcome home!