Mail Call | Teen Ink

Mail Call

By laurent10 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
laurent10 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

Dear Veteran,

You are courageous. You are strong. You are brave. These three words describe how important you are to this world—to me. You have made an impact on people everywhere and changed this country into the place people call their home.

I have watched movies, documentaries, and shows to see what war is like, trying to grasp onto a small picture in my head, but I know for sure that the picture I am painting is far from reality.

Only war veterans will understand what you go through. When I see pictures from war, it’s hard to imagine that it was a real thing—hard to picture what people like you had to go through. You have experienced the things that I can't imagine. You have the courage to do something that many people don't want to do. You are important.

You helped me do the things I love—live the life that I want to live. Because of you, I feel safe along with so many other people. I don’t have to worry about places I love being destroyed. Thank you for your service to this country and all you have done to make it better. Words cannot describe how grateful I am for you. Your actions show how much you truly are a hero.

Everyone's lives create a story and yours is different than most. You have accomplished things that no one will ever accomplish that is truly amazing. As you read this letter I want you to remember how much you have impacted so many people and that your legacy will live on forever. You are special.

If you are willing to share your personal stories, I would love to hear them. You will never be forgotten.

Welcome home!