What I Would Say to a Girl Crying in the Bathroom | Teen Ink

What I Would Say to a Girl Crying in the Bathroom

January 6, 2021
By ariana_herman1 BRONZE, Grosse Pointe Farms, Michigan
ariana_herman1 BRONZE, Grosse Pointe Farms, Michigan
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Open your eyes and see what you can with them before they close forever."- Anthony Doerr


Baby, why are you crying in the last bathroom stall? Come, here’s a tissue. I can tell you’re tired; those dark eye bags and heavy books speak a thousand words. Oh, that’s not even half of your work? Here’s another tissue. 


Why are you so overwhelmed? Ah yes, American government projects are always overwhelming. Hold on, you’re telling me that you have an essay in Shakespeare 101 due the same day, a Spanish presentation the next day on Thursday, and a Calc Honors and Honors Bio test on Friday too? Oh Honey I’m sorry, that’s so hard- even I didn’t do all of that sophomore year. The A isn’t worth the anxiety and sleep deprivation. Staring outside your window gazing at the dark night at one in the morning isn’t reducing your stress. Don’t be so hard on yourself, you are doing great. Your Mama will have to realize that getting a B is not the determining factor of your acceptance to college. 


Track after school? I can’t believe you have to go to practice on top of all that heavy work. Did you just say there is a meet tomorrow with Big Ten recruiters? Good luck! Listen here’s some advice, get some homework done on the hour bus ride. Don’t engage with the loud pre-game singing to Post Malone. Put your headphones in and try to concentrate. I promise it will help with the amount of work you’ll have when you get home exhausted at ten o’clock. It helped me when I was doing two sports at once, so maybe it will help you too. Oh, but didn’t you say your so-called “friend” is on the team? Don’t take her silent bullets; if she can’t be happy for you in your moment, then you shouldn’t be friends with her. It’s not the end of the world to slowly let go of those who make you think poorly of yourself. Plus you never know, you may find yourself befriending someone who changes your life. It happened to me in my junior year. 


When you are doing all of this, remember to keep your body healthy. Drinking only coffee for breakfast, not eating the chicken salad sandwich for lunch, and eating the pea-sized portion of the pesto pasta at dinner when your parents are watching, won’t help you fit into those size two skinny jeans everybody else is wearing. Don’t try to be like everybody else. You are you! And you are beautiful even if you don’t think so. I think so. 


Now, chin up and breathe. There you go. Let’s wipe those tears off your droopy eyes: better days are coming Love.


The author's comments:

I wrote this piece to reflect not only my personal trouble with high school but the universal struggle too. I know I'm not the only girl who has been through a hard time and I wanted to express that they are not alone, and talking or reaching out to someone who has already been through their experience can benefit them more than they think. High school is a challenging time physically and mentally for many kids and sometimes they are so hard on themselves that they forget those four years are going to go by in a heartbeat.