What the United States Flag Stands For | Teen Ink

What the United States Flag Stands For

At the top of a flagpole, over the Wisconsin treetops wearing their vivid fall colors, flaps a flag of red, white, and blue. The flag flies high and proud over a home in the country where a father taught his kid to ride a bike and a mother prepares fresh gooey chocolate chip cookies. 

At the top of a flagpole, over the highest skyscrapers of New York City, flaps a flag of red, white, and blue. The flag flies high and proud over a young businessman who was given the opportunity to better his way of life and work toward success.

At the top of a flagpole, over a beautiful college campus in Virginia, flaps a flag of red, white, and blue. The flag flies high and proud over students who are able to receive a high-quality education to prepare themselves for whatever they want to come next.

At the top of a flagpole, over a vast farm field in Missouri, flaps a flag of red, white, and blue. The flag flies high and proud over a farmer who drives his pickup truck down a gravel road after selling his crop from the previous growing season.

At the top of a flagpole, over the Mountain tops of Colorado, flaps a flag of red, white, and blue. The flag flies high and proud over a woman backcountry skiing and enjoying her chance to be one with the natural beauty of this country.

At the top of a flagpole, over an elementary school in Arizona, flaps a flag of red, white, and blue. The flag flies high and proud over a class of kindergarteners reading the first page of the Cat in the Hat.

At the top of a flagpole, over the White House in Washington DC, flaps a flag of red, white, and blue. The flag flies high and proud because of all the founders and elected officials who have built a country with freedom and opportunity, and the soldiers who have fought to defend such a special place where every person can pursue their dreams.