Little Did They Know | Teen Ink

Little Did They Know

By Hammack911 BRONZE, Wentzville, Missouri
Hammack911 BRONZE, Wentzville, Missouri

In January 2004 my mom was robbed at gunpoint at her job. She was a bank manager and she was opening that morning just to be robbed at gunpoint. Little did the gunmen know she had a 3 month old baby, me, and a very abusive husband at home. She knew the tricks of a narcissist, she knew the ways around them. She hit the emergency button and prayed to God that the police would come save her. God answered her prayers and that night she was able to come back home to her 3 month old baby and her abusive husband. 

6 months later, my extremely brave mother had enough of the abuse from my own father and had the courage to leave him for my own sake and her own sake. She filed divorce papers and tried winning custody over me. She explained to the court in detail what she had to suffer from the past 10 years. She sold her diamond ring and necklace and even spent every last bit of savings on a lawyer and court dates to get custody of me. In November 2005, my mom won custody, filed restraining orders and she was left with just me, an empty house and a bank job that she had PTSD from. My mom faced the fact that she was a single mom and she was going to be one for a long time. 

7 years later my mom decided to fulfill her lifelong dream of going into the medical field. She dropped out of college after finding out she was pregnant. She enlisted in the coast guard then her abusive husband threatened her life not to go, she had to stay. After 7 years and this weight lifted off her shoulders, she was ready to fulfill her lifelong dream of being a paramedic. She went to EMT school and met many men that had crushes on her but she turned them all down because none of them were good enough for the 7 year old she had at home. A year later she was accepted into the Paramedic Academy of SCCAD. She met a man named Kyle, my now father, who helped her study, made us dinner, put me to bed, got us gifts, taught me new things and made our lives easy. Kyle graduated valedictorian and my mom right after him. I was in the stands cheering them on. Little did we know what was about to come next. 

In 2012 my mom got a job in Ferguson as a paramedic, not knowing how dangerous it was. My moms first day she came home, telling me she had some of the worst calls she has ever seen, shootings, stabbings, drug overdoses, abuse cases, rapes, all in a 24 hour shift. My mom was really headstrong and knows how to stand up for herself. No matter who said what to her and what happened she knew she was going to make it home. She explained to me how she prayed for these people and asked God why he does these things and she gets answers. August 9th 2014 my mom ran another shooting like any ordinary, a young man named Michael. She ran up to Michael and pronounced him dead on scene, my mom thinking this was just a normal shooting, she didn't know that next month she would be making her Will and stepping in front of a court and testifying on what happened, stating who will take care of me if my mom was to die. My mom constantly went to work in fear for her life. Getting shot at, threats, people asking for her name. She changed her name on her badge, to different patients she had different lives, she was a different person at work. I understood what was going on, I prayed. I prayed every night for my moms safety. One morning before my mom went to work I opened my eyes slightly as she kissed me goodbye. I prayed that night, “pinky promise me you will be home tomorrow mama”. My mom, on the verge of tears, joins her pinky with mine. We did that every morning and after 24 hours God always brought my mom home just by the power of a pinky promise. 

Near the end of 2022 my mother decided to leave the ambulance because of how dangerous and draining it was, she became a dispatcher for my dads, Kyle, distract and has a lot less stress. 

I love my mom because even through all the trauma and hardships she continued to think about me and stay with me. To this day we have such a close connection and we are best friends. God continued to bring my mom, my best friend, home for me so I wasn't alone and I had my person. My mom went through some of the hardest things ever but she kept going and said her prayers.