John's Story | Teen Ink

John's Story

June 14, 2024
By Anonymous

With memorial day around the corner most people think about going down to the shore, going for the first swim of the season, barbecues with family, hanging out with friends, and more fun and exciting things. However, it is important to remember that the reason we have this weekend of freedom is because of the soldiers that sacrificed their lives so we can enjoy ours. There are so many different stories of people who served in the military and what they have experienced, but it feels different when you hear it coming from someone you or your family have a relationship with. A family friend served in the Vietnam War, and his story is a very heartfelt one to help remind us why we should honor our veterans and those that sacrificed their lives.

John, who was in his early twenties, was drafted into the war and there was nothing he could do about it. Even though he wanted to stay home with his family and have fun with his friends, he was picked to go and serve for the country. He went through the training, and soon before he knew it, it was time to say goodbye to his family and go to Vietnam. At the place where he first arrived there was not much activity going on, and he and the rest of his unit were making friends with the people who lived where they were stationed. There was no fighting for about two weeks. Even though things seemed to be peaceful for a while, the whole unit knew that something spontaneous was about to happen. 

During the third week, John and some of his friends were ordered to check an office building to see if there was anything they could find. John was ordered to go in first but his friend who wanted to check it out convinced John to let him go in first. Little did John know this would be the last time he saw one of his best friends. As his friend went in, John's heart was in his throat because he had a feeling something bad was going to happen. Just as his friend had gone up the staircase a bomb came and exploded the whole office and some of the surrounding buildings. Frozen with fear and shock, John could not move, but there were enemy troops starting to invade the area. One of John's friends came and grabbed him, and they ran back to the station and spent the rest of the day in their room. It was dead silent, and John had not spoken a word ever since the building had blown up. When telling the story, he explains that night, everytime he would close his eyes he would see his friend entering and watching the building blow up and be engulfed with flames. He can hear the screams of his friend and the people in the building next to it, the sound of the wood and trees sizzling to the fire. He couldn’t get it out of his head. 

Over the next few weeks John was starting to get better and was beginning to enjoy the army. Although, he did miss his family. He and his family would write about anything, they just wanted to hear from the other person. John would write about where he was being stationed, if there was any fighting that day, what he would eat throughout the day, and most importantly how much he couldn't wait to see them again. His family would respond giving updates on what has been going on at home and in the country, some new foods that they had made and of course how much they wanted to see him and couldn't wait to hug him again. Most of the time John was deployed he was in an area that was safe and didnt have fighting happening all the time. There were a few times where the enemy would come and there would be a few shots fired, but nothing as big as when the office building had been bombed. Three weeks before John and his crew were going to be sent home, something unexpected happened. When he and some of the guys from his unit were giving some food to the locals around, gunshots from nearby were heard, and with that immediately everyone started to get into formation. With the booming sound of the gun firing mixed with the screams of the women and children, John was very overwhelmed, but he knew if he was to just stand still, he would never see his family again. After about 45 minutes of continuous attacks, John’s unit forced the enemy to retreat and planned for the next day to return back to America. Thankfully, no one from the unit had died, the worst injury being someone's arm having to be amputated. 

Being back home in America and being able to hug and see his family again, brought back the warmth and comfort in John’s life. It took about a month for him to tell his family everything that had happened while deployed because of the severe PTSD that he had. Now John is almost 80 years old and is enjoying his life being happy with his wife and grandchildren. Even though he has his bad days, and horrifying nightmares, he shares his story to let people know the obstacles and mental struggle of being in a war and defending the country. People who serve in the military are the bravest people on this earth, and we should always thank them for allowing us to be able to live freely and live the life we live.


The author's comments:

This is about a family friends experience in the Vietnam War.