Don't You See How Much You Mean to Me? | Teen Ink

Don't You See How Much You Mean to Me?

A lot of teens think heroes are heroine addict singers, or television actors, but I think a hero is somebody who is strong and independent, and somebody who never gives up, no matter what the situation is. My hero isn't my favorite singer or actor, my hero is my Aunt Janet. When I was growing up, I spent all my time over my Aunt Janet's house. She seemed just like any other person, except for the fact she was blind. Some people would throw their life away if that happened to them, thinking what's the point of living if I can't see, but not my Aunt Janet. She made the best of her situation, and lived her life to the fullest. She would always listen to everybody elses problems, and I never once heard her complain about being blind. She still went out to places, and did things around the house like she never lost her sight at all. She was always very independent. She didn't have people wait on her, or help her, she loved doing things herself, including cooking. As I grew older, I didn't go to her house as much. I had softball and field hockey games, I was focusing on school work, I barely had time to myself. One day I came home and my parents she had a problem with her leg, and she had to get her leg cut off. I felt so horrible for her. First she looses her sight, now she has a leg cut off, I would have ended my life if that happened to me. After she got her leg cut off, she was put in a wheel chair. Even though that horrible incident happened in her life, she still didn't complain, or throw her life away, she still tried to go out a lot, and do things with her family.
A couple months later after she got her leg cut off, the doctor said something was wrong with her other leg and it needed to come off. She was going to go through with it, but sadly she died in her sleep a couple nights later. I'm disappointed I didn't get to see my Aunt a lot before she died, but I know she's up there watching and protecting me. Sometimes when I think of giving up on something because I hit a bump in the road, I think of her and how my situation could be worse, and how I have to keep pushing it out, because everything turns out good in the end. She is truly an inspiring person, and will always be a hero in my eyes.

I hope the readers see that no matter what life throws at you, you have to deal with it and make the best of your situation.