Reagan | Teen Ink

Reagan

By SamanthaMund GOLD, Everett, Washington
SamanthaMund GOLD, Everett, Washington

Each days a gift and not a given right leave no stone un-turned leave you fears behind and try to take the path less traveled by! Each step you take is the Longest stride!

We have had so many different kinds of presidents in such a short period of time. We have had presidents from all around the United States. Every single one of them believed that they would make our nation a better place. Many of them began working on it and many of them succeeded in some areas. One president that sticks out today is Ronald Reagan our nation’s 40th president in America.

Reagan was the 33rd governor of California and in 1979 Reagan announced he was running for president. Reagan chose Bush to be his running mate in the election. Reagan at the end of the campaign carried forty-four states. On November 4th 1980 Reagan received four hundred and eighty nine electoral votes winning the election against Jimmy carter the incumbent president. By January 6 1981 Reagan’s election was complete for he had to meet with the Electoral College and all his hard work was done.

In Reagans debate he was televised for the whole nation to see them going at it against each other. I think that being able to watch the debates gives you more of a motive to vote for someone than just hearing them on the radio. In the debate many people believe that Carter looked very angry and mad towards something, he looked really frustrated in all and he began too become distracted with his words. Reagan on the other hand was very calm and peaceful and collective throughout the debate.

Reagan believed that the American economy was hampered by excessive economic controls and misguided welfare programs enacted during the 1960 and the 1970s. Reagan was an advocate for free market. Reagan believed in so many things, he had determination that would feel up a room of people. Everyone loved him for his great confidence and his major acceptance. When Reagan was elected the president the economy came to know this as the time of the Reganomics all around America. He was a republican and everyone knew it.

As many Americans were happy to have Reagan in office there were many who feared he would not be able to make it with all the financial issues as well as many other issues. After his policy resulted to the end of the cold war many American believed in him rather than just being iffy all the time. Not long after the war ended Mikhail Gorbachev rose to power. Then the United States began to support the anticommunist association. That’s when the real fear took place to all Americans with the financial issues.

One remembered act that Reagan did in his term was the signing the social security reform bill in to law in 1983. The law required that every dependent age 5 or older listed on a tax return had to have their own Social Security number. This was a great thing that Reagan did. I believe it was good because this way others are able to have tax returns and you are able to identify who the person is if need to be. Reagan began very popular with this new bill that he signed.

Another thing that Regan did was he put the tax cuts into law which made it to where the taxes were cut legally. At first this made the economy happy because they would be paying less and earning more. Soon to come find out it wasn’t the best idea. That meant that wages would soon go down and less money would be going to the government which also meant that it would be narrowed down to only few people were being helped by the government. This was not settling to good with the Americans of the United States.

On January 20th 1989, Regan leaves the office. The thing that made Ronald Reagan so special was that he was the first most popular president since Franklin D. Roosevelt. Ronald Reagan had almost every American on his side from the beginning to the end. He was not just about himself he was for the people and by helping determining what was right for the human race to exist in a great environment. Reagan was a president that everyone looked up to and many still reflect on him today in politics wise.

Who would you vote for in the 1980 presidential election between Jimmy Carter and Ronald Reagan? I would vote for Reagan! He was the people’s man and he had everyone at the start. He knew what this nation needed and he was determined to take it all the way. Carter on the other hand was not the best at determining what he wanted to do for the nation and always acted as if he was angry or frustrated at the world around him. Reagan would have had my one hundred percent vote along with the rest of America.

The election of 1980 was a great one to have watched if you were alive in that time. Reagan was a trust worthy man and he was one of our greatest presidents to have lived. He will always be remembered for the things that he brought and helped to our nation. Reagan fought a long and hard battle for America and he won many of them. For that we thank him for all he has done for our nation and know that hopefully we will have another president like him one day.

I had to write this for a history project I hope people will see who reagaon really was and what he did for us.

SamanthaMund GOLD, Everett, Washington

thanks a lot i appreciate it so much

BriannaBunny said...
BriannaBunny, Everett, Washington
nice article sam, keep up the good work!!!!!!