The Perfect Hero | Teen Ink

The Perfect Hero

September 11, 2008
By Anonymous

A hero can be defined as someone who is admired for outstanding qualities or achievements. There are many traits that make up a hero and you cannot find them in everyone. To me, the traits a hero should have are courage, trust, honesty, strength and to be kind hearted. The hero in my life is my mom. My mom was born on December 7, 1963 In Indianapolis, Indiana. She went to high school at North Central where she joined the swim team. When my mom was 17, a junior, her mom died of a massive heart attack at the age of 45. She has always says to me “Be kind to everyone and to never quit.” I know that I can tell my mom anything, and if it is a problem she will help me find the best solution. I chose my mom to be my hero because I think that she has all of the qualities that a hero should have, courage, trust, honesty, strength, and she is kind hearted.
There are many reasons why I chose my mom as my hero, but I am only going to list four. The first reason is that I can tell my mom anything or ask her anything. I can trust her not tell anyone, and she can help me find the right solution to my problems. Normally when I am stressed out I always go to her to help me relax. Especially if I have a lot of homework she will help me to get it done. If I have had basketball practice or a game and I get home late she will stay up with me to make sure that I can get my homework done. I go to my mom for advice and to tell her things that are going on in my life like who I like or if I have problems with my friends I go to her for advice. My mom always knows what to say to me when I have a problem and I know that I can always trust her. Since I go to my mom for everything she doesn’t have to be one of those parents that asks a lot of questions because she knows that she can trust me because I don’t hide anything from my parents. She always tells me “If you ever have a problem I want you to be able to come to me, no matter what the problem is I will try my best to help you.”
The second reason that I chose my mom as my hero is because she is always honest with me. My mom never hides anything from me if it is something that I need to know she will tell me and not hide it. She is also honest when she is helping me solve a problem she does not say something that I should do and not mean it. I know that when I ask her something I will always get the truth. My mom always says, “If you do something wrong and lie you will get a harsher punishment than telling me the truth.” That comforts me when I know that I have done something wrong that I just have to live with the consequences, than to lie and get into a lot more trouble.
The third reason my mom is my hero is she is very kind hearted. My mom is the most loving person I know. She treats everyone like family and nothing less. For the past home football games I have had friends over to hang out, as soon as we walk in the door she has food ready on the counter for us to eat, and she makes sure that we are all taken care of. I love bringing friends over because she always takes care of us and I know that it is a lot of work for her to leave work, come home, straighten up the house, and have food ready for as soon as we walk into the door.
The fourth and final reason why my mom is my hero is because her family is her life. My mom is someone who takes care of her family before herself, even when she is sick or really stressed out. In the morning she wakes up to help my sister, brother and I get out the door for school. When we are sick she is right there by our side making sure that we have everything that we need to be comfortable. I feel bad sometimes because even when my mom is sick she still gets out of bed no matter how bad she feels to take care of everyone. I would like to just take care of her sometimes because I can tell that she needs it. She loves her family and you can tell when you see her that family is everything to her.
I would compare Odysseus and my mom by always thinking of their family. When Odysseus was gone for 20 years he thought about his family and how to get home. My mom is the same way she always has family on her mind, and she thinks about what is going on in our lives. You can tell that family is important to both of them and, to me that is what stood out when I was reading the Odyssey, how important Odysseus’ family was to him. One of my mom’s favorite quotes is “The love of a family is life’s greatest blessing.” This quote is very true, without your family life wouldn’t be as great as it is with your family.
A hero can be defined as someone who is admired for outstanding qualities or achievements. The qualities that a hero should have are courage, trust, honesty, strength and kind hearted. There are many people in my life that have these traits, but the person that I see these traits the most in is my mom, my hero. My mom is my hero because she went through so much when she was younger, 17, with the death of her mother who was 45 at the time. She stayed very strong and I don’t know if I would have been able to do that. My mom shows all of the traits that I think a hero should have, everyday. She always puts other people before herself, no matter what is going on in her life. A hero is someone who should be looked up to, a best friend, and someone who doesn’t always think of themselves. My mom is my best friend, she is the person that I look up to and who I trust, she is my hero.