What it Takes | Teen Ink

What it Takes

What exactly does it take to be a hero? In my view a hero is someone you can look up to, someone that you want to be like, someone who does what is right no matter what it takes. There are heroes everywhere in our world, some better known and recognized than others. There are many people that could be classified as “hero”, but only a select few are adored by the multitudes. No matter who you are, what you do, or when you do it, you are capable of rising to the praise of many and becoming a hero. You are what you do, when it counts. This is one of my favorite quotes of all time, and it means that your true self will show when it is most important. You cannot become a hero by living a slow, uneventful life. This will take you nowhere and you will accomplish nothing. I think that some very important things are ignored by our society today, things that should be valued above all else. Caretakers and people who help those in need are some of the most valuable and fulfilling positions a person can have. That is why, my hero, is my father. My dad has accomplished a lot in his lifetime, and I believe that without him, physically and mentally, I could not exist. My dad has many, many, many qualities that make him a hero. So many in fact I would never be able to write them all down. Well, I guess I can try.

For a majority of people, a hero is someone who does something truly amazing. Some heroes can fly, some can shoot webs, and some can even conquer seven headed monsters. I disagree with all of these stereotypes. A hero can be that and more. I think of a hero as someone who would give anything for you. “Someone you can believe in, trust, someone you emulate, someone who can change your life.” This is what my dad believes a hero is, and it is also what I believe. My dad has always been there for me, through the terrific and the terrible, through times of greatness and the times of grief. Whenever I am suffering from some sort of illness, be it a cold or hurting heart, he is there for me. When I get sick during the night he cleans it up and gets me medicine or water or anything I could need. He does not care that he could get sick, or that it may make him tired for work the next day, he just goes ahead and does it. My dad is always there for me, even at the times I do not want him to be. He knows that sometimes I get angry for some reason and I yell at him. Even through it all he still stays there for me and does not leave me. Then, by the end of it, I truly am glad he was there. I know that in my heart he will always be there for me, with words of encouragement, or comfort when I need it most.

I have known my dad for my whole life. From the day I was born he knew me. I may not have been aware that he was my dad, but he knew I was his son. Ever since I came into being he started his care giving for me. His hero is his own father because “he can do anything.” This is what my dad does for me. Anything he wants to accomplish, he can. He is almost a superhero in how much he can do. He can fix a leaky sink. He can find our lost puppy. He can cure my sicknesses. My dad perseveres through it all and never quits. In my whole lifetime, I cannot recall a time when he truly gave up. If he wants to do something, you know that he will.

As a young kid, I had a lot of fears. I was afraid of the dark, afraid of monsters, all of it. Some dads may give up on their kids, but mine never did. At night when I got scared he would let me sleep next to him. If I ever doubted myself he would always throw in some reassurance. When worried for a test, he would help me study to make sure I was confident before he did anything else. He has always put me first before anything else. He never put me down or gave up on me. Whenever I was active in any type of sports, he would help me practice whenever I needed it. My dad would drive me wherever I needed to go whenever I needed to go. He picks me up from any place at anytime, no matter what he was doing. My dad has always encouraged me and helped me out whenever I needed it.

My father says that he “thanks God for another day” every morning he gets up. My father does not get up thinking that he will be a hero. His heroism passively affects my life in many ways. My hero goes to work everyday to provide for me, and never complains about it. He does not enjoy working, but he knows it has to be done. For him, his top priority is “provide for my family.” My dad spends his time during the day earning money for me to use on the things I need, or those that I do not. Some things are not necessary, but he still spoils me with them. Unlike Odysseus, my dad puts others before himself. He does not aspire for his own personal gain and fame, he works for others benefit. Without him, many of the common things I sometimes take for granted, would not be there for me. My computer, my soda, everything I use everyday are because he never quit and continually provides for me.

I rely on my dad so much in everything I do each day. He supports me in all that I do, and he comforts me. He never quits. He always provides for me. With all these factors and then some he truly becomes a hero. I look up to him and eventually I hope that someday I can be like him. My dad is like my firm foundation, he keeps me stable. I know that he always has cared for me and loved me, and I know that he will never stop. Without him I cannot even imagine what a wreck my life would be. I love my dad with my whole heart and need him to get through the day. Without heroes in our life I do not think anyone would ever do anything with our lives. With all this what does really define a hero from anyone else? What separates a hero from the rest of the world? That is for you to figure out for yourself.

biomajor said...
I am impressed by your insight. You come from a generation that gauges heros by points scored,touchdowns made or home runs hit. In reality, the true measure of a person lies deep within.

sbanthony said...
Excellent article. I like how you presented the reader with the qualities you see in a hero, and then left them with the challenge to find what their hero is made of.